Director of Engineering - Developer Tooling
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
Our Developer Tooling team enables engineering to self-service day-to-day operations through CI/CD and other tools.
As the Director of Engineering for Developer Tooling, you will lead a team that ensures our developers are able to build and deploy reliable code with resiliency and velocity.
- Enable engineering to self-service day to day operations through CI/CD and other tools.
- Develop, maintain and increase the velocity of the CI and build infrastructure.
- Define future of our image & container-based build strategies. (Reliable/Repeatable)
- Simplify build automation.
- Codify proven practices to improve developer experience and service reliability.
- Explore new ways of automate deployments, canary analysis and rollbacks.
- Provide internal tooling frameworks that empower teams to simplify management and monitoring of the environments.
- Collaborate with business, product, design and tech leadership to drive business, product, and technical strategy for your group.
- Work with Engineering Team Leads and other stakeholders to ensure teams have a high-value, high-velocity, and responsive product development lifecycle.
- Take responsibility for successful delivery against OKRs.
- Own the engineering team structure, size, composition, compensation and management within your group.
- Foster strong technical practices, guide teams to innovative and select appropriate architectures and tech stacks.
- Provide technical leadership, career development, coaching, and mentoring for full-time teams and contractors.
- You have experience leading, managing, or directing a Software Engineering team
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You have a track record as an engineer in the operations of a large site
- You value correctness and efficiency; you leave no stone unturned when diagnosing production issues
- You handle infrastructure with code because automation lets you focus on the more difficult and rewarding problems
- You have production experience with distributed datastores, e.g. zookeeper, cassandra, postgres, kafka, elasticsearch, redis
- You have created tooling for, or submitted contributions to, an open-source data store
- You are fully fluent in python, ruby or go
Back to top