Freeform Optical Design Engineer
- Required to assume a senior role within the optical design team, providing freeform optical solutions in response to the challenges of controlling image distortion, quality and size in optical systems which actively use windscreen surfaces as reflectors and have constricted cavity spaces, requiring novel and cutting-edge innovative design solutions.
- Will be required to provide a review of contemporary developments in optical freeform design, manufacturing and metrology, and indicate the optimum roadmap for adoption and research by DAQRI for its holographic display product development.
- Attend conferences worldwide to liaise with the optical design community to both represent DAQRI and to maintain awareness of the developments in freeform optical design techniques.
- Provide full report coverage of the design process: specification, tolerancing (mechanical / thermal), stray-light analysis, manufacturing plan, metrology plan, general quality planning, sourcing (development and management of supply base), drawing generation, liaison with opto-mechanical and commercial teams.
- Specify optical coating specifications where required.
- Support specification, DFMEA, FMA, & other quality systems.
- Support root cause & trouble shooting investigations
- Support the design & assembly of prototype parts & fixtures.
- Support development testing & evaluation.
- Expertise in Zemax optical design software, also in tandem with C++ or Matlab in increasing its freeform design capability.
- Proven project delivery track record in an automotive mechanical engineering environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- Team player with appreciation for diversity of traits, skills, and approaches.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment where novel ideas, designs, and methods are constantly being developed and tested.
- Has good interpersonal skills and relates well to a variety of people at all levels inside the customer’s organisation.
- Able to build appropriate rapport, actively listening and building constructive relationships.
- Confident in leading client and supplier meetings, with a diplomatic and methodical approach in resolving issues and addressing responsibilities.
- Practical ‘hands on’ experience.
- Fluent in English.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with CATIA CAD systems in an automotive tier one or automotive OEM.
- Solidworks experience beneficial.
- Experience in leading a team in an automotive environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- GD&T experience beneficial.
- Experience with electrical, optical, thermal & NVH systems beneficial.
Meet Some of DAQRI's Employees
Jennifer works on the Core Apps Team on the Smart Helmet, which means she helps develop and deliver the software applications that are available for the product's users.
Back to top