Automotive Optical Designer
- Required to assume a basic design role within the optical design team, providing support to the development of freeform optical solutions in response to the challenges of controlling image distortion, quality and size in optical systems, which actively use windscreen surfaces as reflectors and have constricted cavity spaces. Designing flexibility into an articulated 3D optical system will be necessary in order to adjust the optical paths within the cavity spaces which alter during the greater automotive design process.
- Provide full report coverage of the design process: specification, tolerancing (mechanical/thermal), stray-light analysis, manufacturing plan, metrology plan, general quality planning, sourcing (development and management of supply base), drawing generation, liaison with opto-mechanical and commercial teams.
- Specify optical coating specifications where required.
- Support specification, DFMEA, FMA, & other quality systems.
- Support root cause & troubleshooting investigations.
- Support the design & assembly of prototype parts & fixtures.
- Support development testing & evaluation.
- Expertise in Zemax optical design software, including macro-writing, sensitivity analysis and tolerancing and ideally MATLAB interfacing.
- Ability to demonstrate mathematical (geometry and numerical) skills in a problem-solving approach to 3D layout challenges.
- Proven project delivery track record in an automotive mechanical engineering environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- Team player with appreciation for diversity of traits, skills, and approaches.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment where novel ideas, designs, and methods are constantly being developed and tested.
- Has good interpersonal skills and relates well to a variety of people at all levels.
- Able to build appropriate rapport, actively listening and building constructive relationships.
- Confident in participating in client and supplier meetings, with a diplomatic and methodical approach in resolving issues.
- Practical ‘hands on’ experience.
- Fluent in English.
- Experience with CATIA CAD systems in an automotive tier one or automotive OEM.
- Solidworks experience beneficial.
- Experience in leading a team in an automotive environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- GD&T experience beneficial.
- Experience with electrical, optical, thermal & NVH systems beneficial.
Meet Some of DAQRI's Employees
Jennifer works on the Core Apps Team on the Smart Helmet, which means she helps develop and deliver the software applications that are available for the product's users.
Back to top