Retail Store Manager
- Santa Rosa, CA
The Store Manager In Training (SMIT) job is the first step in the CVS/pharmacy Retail Management Development Program, and is a short-term role (not to exceed 24 months) that provides both work assignments and training opportunities to prepare SMITs to be promoted into a Store Manager role. From the date of entry into the CVS/pharmacy Retail Management Development program as an SMIT, it may be possible to progress to a Store Manager position within 12 weeks-24 months, depending on the prior experience and performance of the SMIT, and then to field management and/or executive opportunities in 3-5 years.
A SMIT is a member of the Store Management team, and as such, fulfills the company purpose of helping people on their path to better health by driving store execution and performance while building consumer loyalty to CVS/pharmacy through a focus on excellent customer service. Under the supervision of the Store Manager, the SMIT will maintain an engaged, productive store team through strong leadership, demonstrating initiative and leading by example.
The SMIT is responsible for supporting the Store Manager in the total leadership and strategic operation of a CVS/pharmacy store including:
• Overall store management, supervision, and policy implementation
• Sales and inventory management
• Employee staffing, training, and development
• Financial management
• Customer service leadership
The Store Management team receives support from their individual store team, but other support and direction come from regional field management, call centers, distribution centers, and Customer Support Center headquarters.In addition to day-to-day management responsibilities, SMITs are also responsible for completing operations and management skills training, and learning about key aspects of the business and CVS/pharmacy culture, in order to prepare for promotion to a Store Manager position. This extensive training course is designed to provide a strong foundation to prepare a SMIT to be able to assume supervisory duties and operational control of a store immediately upon promotion into a Store Manager position. SMITs must maintain satisfactory performance and must demonstrate consistent progression through the training program in order to remain in the role and be considered for Store Manager openings. No SMIT may remain in role for longer than 24 months.
Selection for the SMIT position does not guarantee promotion into a Store Manager position. Whether and when an SMIT is actually promoted to Store Manager is dependent on a variety of factors, including but not limited to performance and availability of Store Manager openings.
• Lead others and work effectively with store crews
• Supervise, assign and direct activities of the store’s crew
• Effectively communicate information to store crew and supervisors in an open and timely manner
• Support Store Manager with actions plans for operational and service improvement
2. Customer Service
• Assist customers with their questions, problems and complaints
• Promote CVS customer service culture (greet, offer help, and thank)
• Provide colleagues personalized customer service feedback and coaching (E.g., myImpact coaching; myCustomer feedback; personal observations)
• Handle all customer relations issues in accordance with company policy
• Promote a positive shopping experience for all customers
• Maintain customer/patient confidentiality
• Price merchandise
• Stock shelves
• Reset departments following POGs adapting them to a particular store
• Organize and execute the display and signing of weekly, major promotional and seasonal merchandise
• Organize and execute the display and maintenance of off-shelf merchandise
4. Loss Prevention
• Control use of register keys, securing door keys, alarm codes, and safecombinations
• Execute locking of safe and security doors and setting of alarms when closing the store
• Complete random cash verifications; journal tape checks; analyze Cashier Analysis Report
• Identify and react to shoplifters and apprehend to secure company assets and process shoplifters accordingly
• Protect store assets
• Administer, monitor, and react to Internal Loss Prevention programs and systems: employee bag checks; lockers secured; receipts for purchases
• Maintain and react to Electronic Article Surveillance system
• Ensure price accuracy, using POS Price Accuracy Report and in-store price audits
• Respond to MIS
• Review electronic journal
• Access, input, retrieve and analyze information from the computer
• Order regular and promotional merchandise, maintaining appropriate inventory levels using the Telxon machine
• Maintain an organized office and backroom
• Work reserve stock
• Oversee and execute the preparation of the daily cash report and weekly summary
• Develop sales/hours forecasts
• Load and unload deliveries
• Lift 35 pound trays/cases to a height of 4 feet
• Move trays/cases from one location to another
• Verify and document billing of merchandise (check-in merchandise)
• Execute and document merchandise returns and inter-store transfers
• Operate a cash register - including: cash, check and charge transactions
• Bagging merchandise
• Execute and document: Cash/check pulls; deposits; returned check payments; check acceptance;refunds; voids; discounts; cashier verifications; rain-checks; signing crew members on/off; taking closing readings
• Deliver deposits and secure change from the bank maintain a balanced imprest fund
• Schedule daily, weekly activities; prepare weekly work schedules based on store’s budgeted hours
• Finalize weekly payroll
• Ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures and federal and state laws
• Prepare, complete and distribute reports and records: paid out summary; key rec’s (accounts payable); MU/MD; customer cash discrepancy; returnable merchandise; accident reports; various other surveys as requested
• Open/close store
• Conduct a walk through of the store and establish a prioritized list of tasks
• Answer telephone
• Identify and react to in-store repairs
• Execute payment of outside vendors as appropriate
6. Human Resources
• Train, develop, and evaluate crew members and supervisors
• Execute all necessary documentation for H.R.I.S. administration: hiring kits; staff enrollment forms, changes of status forms for all store personnel
• Conduct performance appraisals for all directly assigned personnel
• Ensure on-the-job safety of all employees and treatment for employee injuries sustained on the job
• Coach and execute counseling discussions with store employees
• Maintain a work place free from discrimination and harassment
7. Financial Reporting/Administration
• Analyze operating reports/documents and make recommendations on how to improve store performance and implement plans
• Prepare the store for a physical inventory
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inven
‐ Willingness to accept promotion into a CVS/pharmacy Store Manager position if promotion is offered
‐ Ability to transfer to other CVS/pharmacy stores located within the same District
‐ Ability to work a full-time flexible schedule, including some early morning, overnight and weekend shifts, to work overtime as needed, and to respond to urgent issues at the store when they arise
‐ 5 + years of retail management experience, or experience as a CVS Supervisor
‐ Ability to transfer to other CVS/pharmacy locations outside of the same District
‐ A high school diploma or GED is required.
- A four year college degree is preferred, or relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a college degree.
It’s a new day in health care.
Combining CVS Health and Aetna was a transformative moment for our company and our industry, establishing CVS Health as the nation’s premier health innovation company. Through our health services, insurance plans and community pharmacists, we’re pioneering a bold new approach to total health. As a CVS Health colleague, you’ll be at the center of it all.
At CVS Health, we work every day to help people on their path to better health. Never has it been more important for us to deliver on our purpose to our valued customers, patients, members, and employees. With a presence in communities across the country, CVS Health colleagues are and will continue to be a critical piece of the country’s health care solution. The health and safety of our employees, patients, customers, and members is our top priority as we face the impact of COVID-19 together. If you would like to learn about the actions we are taking as a company as we learn more about COVID-19 and its spread, we encourage you to visit our COVID-19 resource center at https://cvshealth.com/covid-19
We offer a diverse work experience that empowers colleagues for career success. In addition to skill and experience, we also seek to attract and retain colleagues whose beliefs and behaviors are in alignment with our core values of collaboration, innovation, caring, integrity and accountability.
CVS Health is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Gender/Ethnicity/Disability/Protected Veteran – we highly value and are committed to all forms of diversity in the workplace. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO is the Law Poster: EEO IS THE LAW and EEO IS THE LAW SUPPLEMENT. Please note that we only accept applications for employment via this site.
We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need to request an accommodation, a qualified interpreter, written information in other formats, translation or other services, please contact our Advice and Counsel Reasonable Accommodations team by emailing Advice and Counsel Reasonable Accommodations team or calling 877-805-9511.
If technical issues are preventing you from applying to a position, contact Kenexa Helpdesk at 1-855-338-5609 or email@example.com. For technical issues with the Virtual Job Tryout, contact the Modern Hire Help Desk at 1-877-451-1695 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top