Are you a creative leader who is equally passionate about creative expression of the brand as you are about team leadership? Are you as connected to the overall business strategy as you are to project development and execution? Do you enjoy working in a variety of mediums including digital, video, social media, print, merchandise and experiential?
If so - and you have the track record to back it up - read on!
Custom Ink, the leader in custom apparel for groups and communities, is all about bringing people together. That's what inspires our innovative online platform, world-class customer support, and award-winning work environment. With 1,500 team members or “Inkers” and $350M in revenue, we are passionate about the success and well-being of our team and have earned frequent recognition as a top workplace from such organizations as Fortune Magazine. Our customers are counting on us to come through for them, and that’s important to all Inkers - no matter what role they’re in.
This position reports to the VP Creative and is located in Fairfax, VA.
How you’ll make a difference:
Custom Ink seeks an energetic creative leader and strategic thinker with a passion for creating engaging brand interactions and is a dynamic leader. As Design Director, you’ll create experiences that express the brand across digital, video, merchandise, social, print, and experiential. As a digital native, you will support Custom Ink’s overall digital marketing goals including driving awareness and customer acquisition. Your creative energy and problem solving skills don’t end there. You’re a passionate leader, inspiring your team to do their best work. You love mentoring as much as you love designing.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with the VP of Creative, and the entire Creative Team
- Generate impactful ideas, push design standards, and create strategic and unique solutions that get people talking
- Supervise, coach, and develop your team of designers and production designers; provide guidance, direction & feedback
- Help shape the look, tone, and feel of projects, inspiring colleagues to think differently
- Lead design-thinking sessions, driving solutions that exceed partner expectations
- Partner with Digital Marketing to develop digital assets and banner ads for our digital and social channels
- Development of original social media marketing concepts
- Partner with Marketing and other channels to translate strategies into creative solutions
- Work closely with brand partners to ensure cohesive branding through all touchpoints
How you’ll be measured:
- You love design and dream about typography, color, images and the perfect layout
- You turn complex problems into simple beautiful solutions
- You stay calm under pressure and lead by example
- You have the energy to see things through and have the confidence to do them thoughtfully
- You are a strategic thinker that considers the customer experience across all channels and platforms
- You collaborate and are inclusive in sharing ideas
What we’re looking for:
- 10 years in design
- 5 years leading a design team
- Stellar leadership track record; equally as comfortable in pitching a creative concept as providing 1:1 team member feedback and professional guidance
- Strong communicator with peers, partners, and the team; timely, actionable, and transparent
- Portfolio of outstanding work
- Expert in the Adobe Creative Suite; extremely proficient in Photoshop and InDesign
- A process and workflow enthusiast driving toward improved quality, accuracy and efficiency of work
- Experience with creating and overseeing creative across multiple platforms including on and offline
- Ongoing drive to understand emerging techniques and trends in digital, video and social media
- Must demonstrate expertise in social media and digital media, and the ability to work cross-functionally to achieve deliverables
- A skilled partner with internal teams including designers, production designers, copywriters, photographers and project managers
- Strong communicator, strategic thinker, efficient time manager, and excellent attention to detail
- Positive influence - brings a “can-do” attitude and team player mentality
In addition, you must embody our company values--practicing the Golden Rule, taking Ownership, and driving and embracing Innovation.
Along with your resume, please include a link to your portfolio.
Cover letters are strongly preferred when submitting this application. While cover letters are not required, they are highly valued. Custom Ink values individuality, so use your judgment and write to us in your own voice.
Custom Ink uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new team members. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visitwww.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Meet Some of Custom Ink's Employees
Ben’s role is to apply design thinking approaches to strategic initiatives, reducing the time between opportunity identification and deploying an idea at scale.
Back to top