Mechanical Systems Internship Positions
- Columbus, IN
Applied Mechanics Summer Internship Positions
P lease note: Your application will be considered for all of our open college full time positions in our US locations.
Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL . We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make your community a better place and work with today's most innovative thinkers to solve the world's toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That's what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for a talented Mechanical Engineer to join our team specializing in Engineering for our Corporate Business in Columbus, IN and/or your remote home office.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
Test and analyze engines and components for stress, strain, fatigue, noise and vibration. The results are used to determine the validity of the design to meet the customer requirements. Design recommendations are then provided as needed.
- Investigates product and system problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
- Main focus is on the execution and improvement of established processes primarily documented in detailed local and global work instructions (EPs) that are required in Engineering Standard Work (ESW) and/or Design Validation Plans (DVP&R).
- This is accomplished through standard, as well as development of specialized computational tools and methods that are required to support the Design and Validation processes and enable high confidence decision making. Obtains input from Design, Thermal Sciences, Materials and Product Validation and delivers computer models and results for key structural performance parameters like motion, load, natural frequencies, stress, design margin, life, sound power to Design and Product Validation.
- Uses formal training like Statics, Dynamics, Machine Design, Mechanics of Materials, Failure Analysis, Engineering Materials and others along with tool specific training (ANSYS, FE-Safe, GT, AVL) to make Design decisions based on numerical predictions of structural performance of components and systems.
- Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over the entry level engineer level and with greater accountability to the project team.
- Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
- Involves minimal direct management of people but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or temporary student employees.
- Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role .
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- Applies Principles of Fatigue and Durability
- Applies Principles of Noise and Acoustics
- Applies Principles of Dynamics and Vibration
- Product Systems Modeling and Analysis
- Systems Modeling and Simulation
- Product Problem Solving
- A pplies Principles of Statistical Methods
- Decision quality
- Drives results
- Communicates effectively
Degree Programs Considered: Bachelor's, Master's Degrees
Major Programs Typically Considered: All Engineering Majors
Full Time Requirements:
- College, university or equivalent technical experience required
- Minimum 3.0 GPA preferred
- Must be able to complete 40 hours per week
- 0-2 years in a position/internship relating to your field of study preferred
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
Back to top