Fuel Cell Systems Test Technologist / Engineer
- Mississauga, Canada
Our culture is one that believes in Powering Your Potential. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make your community a better place and work with today's most innovative thinkers to solve the world's toughest problems. We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions and make an impact through meaningful work within our diverse workforce.
Our New Power Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you will develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Mississauga, Ontario for a Fuel Cell Systems Test Technologist / Engineer.
This laboratory test focused position designs or specifies test systems that allow operation of Cummins' products in a laboratory environment for engineering evaluation to optimize our product designs. This position also involves the specification, design, implementation, validation, and support of test systems including mechanical, electrical, plumbing
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Participates in applications-specific fuel cell systems integration design review meetings, and provides valuable input relating to systems architecture.
- Participates (and in some instances leads) fuel cell system and sub-system prototype builds based on design documents.
- Utilizes 'hands-on' approach to all projects.
- Provides input to design engineers and integration team on system improvements / optimizations (both electrical and mechanical).
- Evaluates built prototypes through testing and validation procedures.
- Troubleshoots fuel cell systems (both prototype and production) for various applications.
- Supports the design and development of custom electronics products and subsystems for large fuel cell systems.
- Supports technicians in control system prototype development, test and debug.
- Evaluates new component technologies to supplement fuel cell power module and systems / applications development.
- Supports the installation and testing of fuel cell power systems.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Obtains input and negotiates with product engineers, product validation engineers, and equipment manufacturers and delivers working test systems, processes and documentation to lab operations personnel and product engineers.
- Makes decisions in the areas of appropriate technologies, equipment sourcing and quality processes that impact accuracy, reliability, operating cost, and compliance to standards and regulations.
- Applies and improves processes such as test equipment design, maintenance and calibration and tools such as measurement systems analysis, 7 step problem solving, fault tree analysis, and process hazard analysis required to support the processes and enable high quality decision making.
- Acts as a local subject matter expert on specific equipment of sub-systems, providing guidance to less experienced engineers and collaborating on with other sites to drive common processes and tools.
- Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
- Delivers independent execution of established and emerging work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge.
- Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across a functional discipline area within a business unit site.
- Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
- Provides support and guidance to influence technical direction within a project team and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
- Operates as a recognized specialist in a discipline or product area within the immediate team.
Measurement Science - Analyzes measurement processes throughout the relevant traceability chain to identify and quantify sources of measurement uncertainty relevant to the appropriate applied measurement science, "Metrology" e.g. Chemical, Dimensional, Electrical, Mechanical, Optical and Radiation and Physical.
Product Function Test System Design - Interprets test equipment specifications from test standards or lab customer requirements; selects and integrates appropriate equipment, instrumentation and software to control boundary conditions and collect measurement data; assesses capability of the lab equipment against the requirements and support infrastructure.
Laboratory Equipment Safety - Evaluates hazards specific to laboratory test equipment that may result from fuels, kinetic energy, toxins, electrical or other risks in the test environment; analyzes risk factors and potential impacts to personnel and property; applies appropriate techniques or safeguards to mitigate risks; collaborates with various laboratory areas to understand risks within a facility or site.
Data Quality - Identifies, understands and corrects flaws in data that supports effective information governance across operational business processes and decision making.
Function Based Product Testing of "X" - Selects appropriate equipment and techniques to operate the product and record operational data in a hardware or software based testing environment most often required as part of a product verification or validation plan; evaluates quality and validity of measurement data; analyzes test results using accepted standards to characterize product capabilities in alignment with the requirements of the engineer responsible for making product decisions.
Project Management - Establishes and maintains the "Balanced Triangle" of Scope, Schedule and Resources for a temporary effort (a "project").
Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Builds networks - Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
Resourcefulness - Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Minimum three to five years of experience with electromechanical systems design and testing environment.
- Previous work experience in developing integrated systems for heavy duty mobility (automotive, rail, aerospace) is an asset.
- Strong ability to read mechanical and electrical schematics.
- Experience with hydrogen generation, energy storage, or fuel cell power modules highly desirable.
Required Education, Licenses or Certifications
College, university, or equivalent degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering is required.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our Retirement Savings Plan, Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
At Cummins, we are committed to the principles of diversity and employment equity under the Employment Equity Act, and we strive to ensure that our workforce reflects the diverse nature of Canadian society.
Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law.
The successful candidate will be subject to our Pre-Employment Background Screening process that consists of a Criminal Background Check as well as Education and Work Experience Verification.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
Back to top