Design Lead Engineer
- Troy, NY
Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make you community a better place and work with most innovative thinkers to solve world's toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That's what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for a talented Design Lead Engineer to join our team specializing in Corporate Strategy for our Component Business Segment in Malta, NY.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- This role effectively communicates the capability of a design concept to meet cross-functional requirements including adherence to engineering standards and works effectively with other engineering and cross-functional disciplines to support resolution of product issues.
- Obtains input and leads the negotiation with cross-functional and cross-discipline technical experts and senior-level designers to communicate the component and subsystem design intent through a thorough Design Review package to the Product Preceding Technology, (PPT), Value Package Introduction (VPI), or Value Package Change Request (VPCR) team requiring a such holistic assessment of various design concepts.
- Leads the design decision making in the areas of component and subsystem design concept selection, concept optimization, and design specifications that impact customers targeted to be served by a given Product Preceding Technology, (PPT), Value Package Introduction (VPI), or Value Package Change Request (VPCR) initiative.
- Applies processes such as Critical Design Decisions, System Design and Validation Consideration Checklist, Design Review, and tools such as iDFMEA, DVA, GD&T, CREO, and ANSYS Workbench required to enable high quality subsystem-level design decision making and design refinement.
- Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
Delivers independent execution of established and emerging work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge.
- Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
Provides support and guidance to influence technical direction within a project team and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
Operates as a recognized specialist in a discipline or product area within the immediate team.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
University, or equivalent degree in Engineering Technology is required. Equivalent Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline area may be required for select roles.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience (4 plus) in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving and quality decision making. Knowledge of MS Office and CREO tools is preferred.
- Previous experience in a similar role is essential, preferably within the power generation industry, industrial engineering, chemical engineering, oil & gas or similar.
- The candidate will own the design, analysis, validation and release of the cell & Stack components. SOFC exposure is preferred, required.
- The candidate is expected to have detailed knowledge of design, proficient with 3D modeling tools (Creo a must, other tools are pluses), capable of CFD and FEA analysis.
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify.
Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity and start your career with Cummins today.
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team:
Back to top