Customer Engineering Internship Positions
- Columbus, IN
Customer Engineering Internship Positions
Please note: Your application will be considered for all of our open college positions in our US locations.
Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
This dual customer/product focused position serves as the technical liaison between OEMs and represents our customers during new product development programs. Applying Cummins' products to customer vehicles requires the development of technical specifications, implementing new design configurations, and delivering high performance, low-cost equipment and system solutions integrated with customers' products in a variety of applications. Integrating high quality and optimized customer solutions requires the interaction with sales and marketing teams.
- Investigates integration and installation problems, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
- Applies and supports the improvement of processes such as Installation Quality Assurance, OEM integration and product selection and tools such as Advisor, Cummins OnLine Specifications (COLS) and Global Customer Engineering (GCE) required to support the processes and enable high quality decision making.
- Obtains input and negotiates with Subject Matter Experts and Value Package Introduction (VPI) Teams and delivers product data and installation requirements to Application Engineers and OEMs.
- Makes decisions in the areas of product selection, design, and integration that impact OEM machine performance, optimization and quality.
- Develops strong working relationships with customer technical counterparts to serve as their primary liaison to deliver product technical information, manage product specifications, communicate product change information, conduct installation issue resolutions and facilitate customer requests.
- Applies in-depth product, application and market knowledge to support Original Equipment Manufacturer product selection and equipment design.
- Translates customer needs and "voice of the customer" into functional product requirements.
- Serves as customer/market advocate inside Cummins during participation in new product development programs, design reviews and product change request processes.
- Ensures products are applied and installed correctly to meet customer system requirements and environments.
- Assures installation quality by validating prototype machine performance and ensuring installations meet Cummins requirements.
- Owns problem resolution for moderately complex components, products, systems, subsystems or services with a greater degree of technical complexity and ambiguity over the entry level engineer level and with greater accountability to the project team.
- Provides independent execution of established work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge; engages with the improvement of systems and processes.
- Involves minimal direct management of people, but could involve the coordination and direction of work amongst technicians and/or temporary student employees.
- Contributes effectively toward team goals, exhibits influence within a work group and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
Degree Programs Considered: Bachelor's, Master's
Major Programs Typically Considered: All Engineering Majors
Cummins Internship program criteria :
- Must be a full-time enrolled student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree
- Minimum 3.0 GPA preferred
- Must be able to complete a minimum of 10 weeks commitment
- Must be able to complete 40 hours per week
- Willingness to learn from others on the job
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
Back to top