Commercial Corporate Counsel - M&A
- Indianapolis, IN
We are looking for a talented Commercial Corporate Counsel - M&A to join our team specializing in Commercial Transactions and M&A for Cummins Legal in your home office within the U.S. or at one of our U.S. locations.
This opportunity offers a variety of complex legal matters or projects across a wide range of businesses, regions and/or functions and carries a wide range of in-house legal responsibilities. This role will provide general business counselling to Cummins' business units and segments along with legal advice and commercial guidance for Cummins' M&A, joint venture and growth activity.
The Cummins Legal function provides a full range of legal services in support of Cummins Inc. and its consolidated businesses. Our United States staff is located in Columbus and Indianapolis, IN. We also have international legal offices located in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Mexico, South Africa, and the United Kingdom, among other countries. Through these various offices, we are able to support our businesses throughout the world.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
- Support all legal aspects of Cummins' growth strategy, including acquisitions, joint ventures and reorganizations, working closely with the most senior members of the legal function and corporate executives.
- Responsible for managing complex transactions from inception through integration, including partnering with business and functional leaders in the identification of acquisition, joint venture or divestiture targets, drafting and negotiating all relevant commercial agreements, such as non-disclosure agreements, letters of intent, joint venture agreements, purchase agreements, and all related ancillary documents.
- A wide range of responsibilities in the areas of corporate transactions, commercial contracting and general business counseling.
- Providing strategic legal advice and support to certain of Cummins' business units.
- Acts as an organizational leader in M&A, commercial and other corporate law matters and combines knowledge of these legal specialties with sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives.
- Conducts project and legal matter management independently; consistently exercises sound independent judgment.
- Identifies and drives development of legal strategies for the Company; manages client expectations to balance requirements and competing priorities; provides useful legal advice and alternative solutions.
- Responsible for training business and functional colleagues on best practices in M&A and related practice areas.
- Expected to work independently and cross-functionally to bring team members together to efficiently and effectively execute the company's growth strategy.
- Brings practical solutions and business acumen to all transactions and initiatives.
- Must have the ability to think strategically, assess the legal and business implications of initiatives and provide thoughtful, timely, practical and business savvy advice.
- Manages a slate of domestic and international legal firms dedicated to partnering with the company to deliver value-driven legal support for the company's strategic objectives.
- Responsible for updating and developing best-in-class templates and other tools to effectively support the M&A process.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as required.
- Requires strong organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously and a willingness to be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Acts as trusted advisor for business teams and management; has strong grasp of business environment and the industry; effectively partners with stakeholders to identify and design needed improvements; provides legal as well as practical advice within the appropriate business context; understands and manages client expectations; influence colleagues' actions to mitigate risks.
- Trains and supervises attorneys, paralegals and outside advisors.
- Ensures efficient and timely communication with colleagues and team members.
- Demonstrates leadership and the values of the Company.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- Strong transactional background, with significant experience negotiating and drafting contracts
- Willingness and ability to handle a wide range of legal issues for various constituencies, with a strong focus on customer service
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Superior intellect, with the ability to think critically and make clear and well-reasoned decisions; strategic and innovative thinker who can bring value to his or her clients and find creative solutions to complex legal problems
- Ability to see and handle more than the legal issues of a project; strong, pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics, as well as a commitment to diversity and a respect for others
- Enthusiasm for working for a global company and everything that it entails: international travel as necessary, working across multiple cultures, willingness to accommodate international time zones, etc.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients across various disciplines and cultures
- Some international experience, particularly a familiarity with cross-border M&A, and the ability to speak a foreign language is a plus
- General understanding of, and ability to, identify issues with respect to antitrust laws
Legal experience minimum of 5 years, either in-house or in a law firm
Strong drafting, negotiating and communication skills
- Experience with Six Sigma preferred but not required
Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school
Excellent academic credentials
- License to practice in Indiana or another jurisdiction
Back to top