Vice President & Chief Actuary
Grow your Career with CSE Insurance Group!
We are currently seeking a Vice President & Chief Actuary to join our team in Walnut Creek , CA. Our team members play an integral role in the innovation and growth of our organization.
Join CSE and be part of the excitement. You'll love our stuff!
The VP and Chief Actuary serves as the actuary executive for CSE and will report to the CEO. The VP and Chief Actuary holds comprehensive management and oversight of CSE's actuarial function including core roles of pricing and reserving. The VP and Chief Actuary is a key contributor to the strategic development and planning process for the enterprise, including heavy involvement in risk management and reinsurance.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads the creation of regular indications by state and each line of business (auto, home, landlord, and commercial).
- Partners with Product Development organization to introduce new rating variables, priced accurately, to drive increased competitiveness and profitable growth.
- Deep familiarity with the CA regulatory environment, particularly Prop 103 and its impact on auto insurance pricing.
- Regularly analyzes book of business to identify poor performing business segments.
- Refreshes rating factors and rating algorithm to maintain competitive rates and mitigate adverse selection.
- Uses third party data sources to analyze competitor rates and relative performance.
- Leads the analysis of corporate loss and loss expense reserves on a quarterly basis. Resulting analysis and direction are presented quarterly. Communicates reserve analysis and direction to the Board of Directors.
- Communicates reserve analysis and direction to external parties such as state examiners and IRS. Prepares Schedule P of the Annual Statement and various corporate statements of Opinion.
- Works directly with Claims leadership to assess claims handling processes and impact on reserves.
- Leads the development/compilation of the premium & loss/ALAE forecasting models used in the corporate planning process.
- Collaborates with the business areas to develop business strategies for states and lines of businesses.
- Works directly with product and underwriting regarding assumptions, modeled results, and the impacts of new business on the diversification and profitability of CSE's overall portfolio.
- Works closely with other support areas to develop and establish core business strategies and programs.
- Participates as a key leader in the establishment of review of corporate risk tolerances, practices and principles.
- Works closely with pricing, underwriting and sales to ensure ongoing communication and alignment.
- Accountable for overall management and people leadership of the actuarial unit including human capital management (employee selection, succession planning, performance management, compensation management, employee development and coaching in career development), and operational management (planning, execution, results assessment, continuous improvement, and compliance with actuarial standards of practice.)
- Accountable for prudent management of departmental expenses. Establishes department budget in accordance with corporate guidelines; manages the department expenses throughout the year and provides quarterly re-forecasts and variance explanations as needed.
- Consistently challenges, improves and implements methodologies, procedures and technology to maximize efficiency and effectiveness within the department. Maintains a strong P&C insurance industry network to remain current with industry best practices.
- Manages the development, maintenance, and control of actuarial statistics necessary for actuarial studies.
- Sets appropriate reporting metrics to manage/understand business. Collects, prepares and presents all relevant data regarding production and performance. Analyzes information and identify relevant trends.
- Provides Executive Management actuarial analysis (including profitability and reserve analysis) of potential growth opportunities, including: New niches and lines of business, programs, affiliations, strategic partnerships and mergers and acquisitions.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Broad understanding of the preferred lines of business including rate indications, pricing, and coverage. This includes an understanding of geographic and regulatory issues and concerns.
- Ability to perform actuarial analysis to develop rate levels, algorithms, pricing strategies and changes.
- Data-driven decision maker, able to complete thorough research and investigation, yet make timely decisions.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the ability to balance the strategic and the tactical.
- Proficient with Excel and with rating and database systems (SAS, Emblem).
- Achieves a standard of excellence with work processes and outcomes, honoring company policies and regulatory compliance.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Demonstrated communication skills, verbal and written, with a variety of audiences at all levels, both internal and external.
- In-depth understanding of property-casualty insurance including underwriting, product management and sales functions.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of the company (internal and external) and its products.
- Ability to look at the entire company scope and develop key strategic ideas in action plans.
- Strong relationship and team- building capabilities, project management skills and ability to successfully lead a diverse team.
- Fifteen years' experience in a P&C insurance environment with a strong emphasis in pricing, reserving and reinsurance.
- Five or more years of prior management/supervision experience.
- Bachelor's Degree required in a quantitative discipline (math, statistics, economics, etc.).
- Actuarial Fellow Designation (FCAS) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) required.
- CPCU preferred.
- MBA preferred.
At CSE, we offer a competitive benefits package (to include profit sharing and 401K match) complemented by work-life balance programs to support our employees.
Who We Are
CSE Insurance Group is a multi-line provider of personal, commercial property and casualty insurance recognized for its fairness, integrity and exceptional service.
A community of good people define our company
CSE Insurance Group is a local company. Our community is your community. Being good people defines us and the agents that represent our products.
What We Do
Protect with well-made insurance, delight with exception service
Our customers deserve exceptional service and well made, high-quality insurance at a reasonable cost. They should feel positive about the protection CSE insurance provides.
How We Think
Create confidence in our customer's mind everyday
Every time we connect with you is an opportunity to express our purpose - to exemplify the integrity we demand of ourselves and our company.
Back to top