Application Database Engineer
- Wilmington, DE
The safety and security of CSC's current and prospective employees, customers, and the communities we serve are our first priority.
Due to coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns, we have transitioned to virtual interviews for the foreseeable future. We look forward to all upcoming video and phone interview conversations with our prospective candidates.
We are always in search of top talent to join the CSC family. If you are looking for a career change, don't hesitate to apply or reach out to us. We'll have virtual interactions until we are able to move forward again with in-person interactions.
Oracle Application DBA
Wilmington, DE or Remote
Oracle Database Designer is a technical expert in managing large Oracle application databases. The individual will analyze, design and document existing application databases and develop complex queries, procedure, triggers etc. to make data accessible.
Schema/Data ownership (design, review, modernization, best practice)
Application DBAs will be responsible for ownership of data and objects within any Database, Pluggable Database, and Schema. This will include the following:
● Database entity/relationship design
● Tables, Views, Materialized Views design
● Application data held within home grown and 3rd party products
● Adherence to decommissioned or de-supported features in any database platform
● Shared schema data relationships and management
● Database links between databases or other database platforms
● Design and maintenance of any database APIs
Client Installs for applications
In the case where application installs require any specific database client executable installs, Application DBAs we will be responsible for such installs.
Change management for schema changes will be designed and owned by Application DBAs. This is to include Data Definition Language (DDL) and Data Manipulation Language (DML) changes to data within a database or schema.
Access Control between Databases/Schemas
The design of interdependence of shared data between schemas will be the responsibility of BU Application DBAs.
Performance Tuning (proactive and reactive)
Application DBAs will be responsible for the regular practice of proactive performance tuning, and will collaborate with Database DBAs in reactive performance tuning issues that arise out of problems. Roles for Application DBAs should include:
● Daily review of performance reports
● Proactive query tuning based on performance reports
● Reactive tuning of problem queries that are shown to cause P1, P2, and P3 incidents/problems.
● Query design reviews
● Index usage and design reviews
● Partitioning design and reviews of existing/legacy tables
Application DBAs will be responsible for designing, deploying and maintaining any monitoring that is specific to an application or is specific to data within an application database or schema.
Data Archival and Purging plans (Data life cycle)
Application DBAs, with the inherent knowledge of the data within each database and schema, will be responsible for designing and implementing data life cycle policy for their applications. They shall include plans for data archival and purging where appropriate. Data that is able to be decommissioned, purged, or archived should be reviewed on a regular interval.
What technical skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
● Extensive knowledge of Oracle database technology and tools including knowledge of relational database design, programming and information retrieval techniques; solid experience in writing complex SQL queries, insert/update statements
● Extensive knowledge of database technologies including referential integrity, database constraints, synonyms, data types, application enforced integrity, data dependencies (between applications) etc.
● Knowledge and expertise of database modeling techniques like Star, Snowflake, 3NF etc.
● Knowledge of best practices in the database, ETL and/or test data technologies
● Experience with modeling tools like DB Studio, Toad, Erwin, or Oracle Designer etc.
● Expert knowledge of the DB design and implementation concepts
● Proven experience in defining, enforcing and documenting database standards, policies, guidelines
● Troubleshoot and solve complex problems, requires hands-on, detailed oriented approach
● Excellent written communication skills which demonstrate the ability to draft clear, concise specifications and documentation
● Proficient in Java, UNIX Shell Scripting & Windows Scripting
● Able to multi-task and prioritize tasks; ability to work independently on complex technical projects
● Knowledge with application development tools, code generators and Agile development process
● Knowledge of Informatica Test Data Management (TDM) tool will be a definite plu
● Bachelor's Degree in in computer science, information systems, engineering or a technical discipline
● 3+ years of experience as Oracle database designer and architect
● 5+ Years of experience as Oracle database developer
● Eagerness to learn new tools and technologies
CSC is the world's leading provider of business, legal, tax, and digital brand services to companies around the globe. From keeping your business in compliance and streamlining operations, to protecting and promoting your brand online, we use our expertise and personal approach to help your business run smoother. We are the business behind business. We are the trusted partner for 90% of the Fortune 500®, more than half of the Best Global Brands (Interbrand®), nearly 10,000 law firms, and more than 3,000 financial organizations. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, USA since 1899, we have offices throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, and the Asia-Pacific region. We are a global company capable of doing business wherever our clients are-and we accomplish that by employing experts in every business we serve.
Our diversity is our strength. Our employees create an environment where everyone is valued and respected. Diverse teams give us a competitive advantage and drive innovation. We are empowered to do what is right for each other and our customers. Though we have many diverse employees, we are one company that encourages everyone to bring their best selves to work every day. We're better together. Some people call this diversity and inclusion-we call it being genuine. CSC is an equal opportunity employer.
Disclaimer: The information above describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not intended to be a description of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications.
Back to top