Want to see your ideas in action?
We do too.
If you like finding and implementing innovative solutions, you'll fit in perfectly at CSC. The world's leading provider of business, legal, tax, and digital brand services, we use technology to make businesses run smoother and smarter. And as an Application Architect, that's what you'll be doing, too.
The application architect has mastered the value, use, development and delivery of software intensive systems. They have developed skills in software development lifecycles, software engineering and software design. The application architect is responsible for the value generated from software systems or system of systems within their direct supervision. They work with project teams to ensure value is delivered for investment and feed resulting valuation results into the business, information and infrastructure areas. Additionally, they provide strategic standards, principles, and guidelines to the application delivery teams.
Acting within this role, the application architect would coordinate and work with other architecture specialists such as solutions, information, infrastructure and business or may be required to develop architectures within these areas themselves. However, a software architect is primarily responsible for the systems themselves and is not primarily a delivery job function.
The application architect has fully developed their abilities to understand the costs and revenue generated from software elements as well as the process for delivery. They work through inception alongside business and information architects to ensure that particular business units maximize investment.
The application architect owns the true value of a software system from inception throughout its full system lifecycle (through end of life of the system). This value may be communicated through robust analysis of the system components and the tradeoffs made during design and development. The application architect may, in addition, create numerous formal models of the software and its impact on the overall topology of the technical strategy.
What you'll do for us
- Maintains an understanding of IT strategy, Business strategy
- Evaluation of application portfolio across multiple perspectives including security, interoperability capability, performance and scalability, reliability and availability, application lifecycle stage, and technological risks.
- Development and maintenance of application portfolio and application architectures.
- Development of application roadmaps and application migration plans
- Carries out impact analysis of the changes on the application portfolio
- Carries out impact analysis of the changes on the application portfolio
Participate in governance mechanisms and ensure that deliveries exceed governance standards
- Participate and recommend prioritization through the project implementation process
- Rigorous design methodology that consistently yields the right level of technical design documentation and develop technical solutions that conform both to customer requirements and software development standards, principles, and guidelines
- Review, cost, and design optimized software designs based on rigorous understanding of costs and returns
- Ability to perform tradeoff evaluations, weighing the risk and value of business priorities against the risk and cost of accumulating technical debt.
- Utilize understanding of industry software trends to innovate and provide new project/product ideas within the investment lifecycle
- Ability to act as a key member of project team and provide leadership in both application design and development, ensures that all stakeholders are included in the process.
- In complex initiatives, act as the lead to coordinate the activities of different architects to arrive at the overall architecture solution.
- Hands-on development may be required to demonstrate component selection and prototyping
- Assist in problem resolution and support the development team through consultation and problem research
- Understands the development lifecycle and application/infrastructure maintenance cycles
- Participate in reviews of the project solution architecture by identifying opportunities and recommendations to optimize or enhance product delivery.
- Helps the Enterprise Architecture and Software Engineering groups in defining and governing the standards, principles, and guidelines.
- Leverage Enterprise Architecture and Software Engineering enterprise standards and reference architectures when selecting solution components.
- Provide guidance and leadership & encourage best practices.
- Strong relationship development with all primary and secondary stakeholders
- Strong collaborator, able to influence diverse stakeholders to set direction and build consensus
- Work as equals with engineering/development staff for optimal design/delivery
- Communicating software concepts to all levels of management
- Address software reusability
- Ensure that expected application quality attribute levels are achieved
What we'll do for you
- Empower you to find your own innovative solutions to challenges face by some of the world's leading companies
- Give you the freedom to explore, experiment, and implement out-of-the-box ideas
- Provide excellent benefits for you and your family, including 401(k) with employer match, medical insurance, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more
Technical skills, experience and qualifications that will make you successful in this role
- Experience: 7-10+ years of overall IT experience.
- 3+ years of experience designing, implementing the highly scalable, high available web based applications
- Experience in developing project scoping and scaling deliverables
- Proven track record of working with customers to understand their needs and translate into technical solutions.
- Experience in analyzing, re-architecting the legacy applications.
- Strong software engineering process skills
- Demonstrated skills in partnership, collaboration and consensus building
- Proven oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven capacity to work independently and manage multiple, competing demands
- Able to take high level requirements and develop software architecture with minimum supervision
- Experience with elements of change management
- Experience with major forms of quality assurance
- Experience with leading project teams including the development of project management deliverables
- Proven track record of keeping up to date with development practices, frameworks, tooling, etc.
- Hands on experience in development, for web based applications, for the cloud.
- Experience with continuous delivery using one or more of the following:
- Experience with container orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience in building web based products in
- Experience with frameworks such as .
- Good understanding of UI frameworks such as one or more of the following: .
- Expert understanding of Object Oriented Programming and SOA architecture.
- Experience with data model design with RDBMS & NOSQL databases, middleware caching.
Why join us?
At CSC®, we're always looking ahead, finding ways to improve and anticipate the future needs of our customers. Curiosity fuels our innovation and productivity drives our results. This proactive mindset has helped us adapt and create solutions that have enabled businesses to run smoother and smarter for more than 115 years.
CSC is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining talented people whose personal values align with ours. We empower our employees to bring the right solutions to market to meet customer demand. That is why we are the premier provider of global solutions for more than 180,000 businesses.
- CSC is a great place to work with smart and dedicated people. We have been voted a Top Workplace for 12 consecutive years.
- We offer challenging work and career opportunities. Most positions are filled with internal moves and employee referrals.
- Employees are eligible for an annual success sharing bonus recognizing individual performance and a profit sharing bonus based on company performance.
- CSC offers excellent benefits for you and your family, including 401(k) with employer match, medical/dental/life insurance, spouse and dependent life insurance, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
- We recently completed building a new headquarters that supports current and future technology initiatives through open design, sit/stand workstations, digital interface points that enhance teamwork and collaboration, and alternative work environments with wireless access throughout the campus, including at our outside work areas. It's an exciting time for us in terms of growth and expansion.
- CSC understands the importance of work life balance and our work schedule has built in flexibility to accommodate the demands of everyday life. For example, working some portion of the week from home is common within our Infrastructure Services team.
CSC is the world's leading provider of business, legal, tax, and digital brand services to companies around the globe. From keeping your business in compliance and streamlining operations, to protecting and promoting your brand online, we use our expertise and personal approach to help your business run smoother. We are the business behind business. We are the trusted partner for 90% of the Fortune 500®, more than half of the Best Global Brands (Interbrand®), nearly 10,000 law firms, and more than 3,000 financial organizations. Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, USA since 1899, we have offices throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, and the Asia-Pacific region. We are a global company capable of doing business wherever our clients are-and we accomplish that by employing experts in every business we serve. CSC is an equal opportunity employer.
Disclaimer: The information above describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not intended to be a description of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications.
Back to top