Sr. Counsel, Commercial Transactions
Sr. Counsel, Commercial Transactions
R2854 Sr. Counsel, Commercial Transactions (Open)
Walnut Creek, California
While we've been named a ‘best place to work,' our proudest accomplishment comes from serving nearly 17 million AAA members. Through our commitment to service, growth and our people, CSAA Insurance Group will create AAA members for life by fulfilling our promise to be there when they need us.
We are hiring a Senior Counsel, Commercial Transactions, who will support both our growing innovation function and get engaged with the core business with respect to transactional and corporate counseling matters. You will have a flexible mindset and business-enabling orientation, be willing to dive into technical details in the data/digital area, enjoy problem solving in a dynamic environment, and balance legal creativity with attentiveness to legal risk management.
- Innovation Transactions: You will act as a lead advisor for innovation initiatives, which will involve novel/new-to-the-enterprise business models and rapid test and learn experiments. This work will entail understanding business objectives, negotiating and drafting agreements (corporate partnership agreements, revenue sharing transactions, licenses, development agreements), counseling on legal matters meaningful to business initiatives (truth in advertising, IP-related topics), collaborating with subject matter experts within the Legal Division and ensuring legal advice is comprehensive, determining proper legal and transactional structures (choice of business entity, entity control structures, contractual joint ventures), and facilitating engagement of relevant stakeholders in Tax, Accounting, IT and HR as appropriate.
- Advertising/Marketing, Communications and IP: Review marketing/advertising collateral and public communications for truth in advertising, intellectual property and other legal/operating model issues.
- Contracts: You will act as a Contracts legal team member by negotiating and/or drafting, in collaboration with Strategic Sourcing, a portion of vendor and supplier agreements which range from sophisticated software licensing and development agreements to purchase or consulting agreements. Assist with Contracts policy and process development.
- Other: Assist with a wide range of projects as needed, including assisting with potential privacy matters, corporate venture capital transactions, IP-generation programs and real estate matters.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant, sophisticated corporate and transactional experience required, with a combination of major law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred.
- Direct experience with digital transactions involving in-bound and/or out-bound software licensing and development, third-party app development and data sharing models. Experience handling a range of non-repetitive transactions that require significant problem-solving and structuring is critical, ideally in a successful innovation/incubation function of a larger enterprise.
- You will have some experience with one or more of the following areas: Marketing/advertising advice, privacy compliance, trademarks and/or patents.
- Excellent contract drafting, negotiation and complex legal project management skills.
- Ability to engage colleagues from a business as well as a legal perspective and to deal effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Flexible, collaborative mindset and willingness to tackle projects outside of areas of prior experience.
- J.D. from accredited U.S. law school and CA bar admission.
- Willingness to work up to one to two days a week in Mountain View and/or San Francisco in addition to Walnut Creek, depending on organizational needs and ability to accommodate occasional U.S. travel.
- What makes us different? We are a collegial legal division with a focus on employee engagement through satisfying work and abundant professional development opportunities. Our Legal Division offers a voluntary pro bono program, which aligns with the company's deep commitment to volunteerism.
CSAA Insurance Group offers many benefits, including:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance coverage including benefits coverage for domestic partners. Company contributions into a Health Savings Account (HSA).
- 401(k) plus company matching dollar for dollar up to 6% and a cash balance retirement program.
- Company paid employee assistance plan and health support programs.
- Award-winning wellness programs including free onsite fitness classes.
- Paid bonding leave for birthing and non-birthing parent and paid adoption leave.
- Two weeks paid military leave.
- Paid time off, plus ten paid holidays and 24 hours of paid time off to volunteer.
- Tuition reimbursement, self-service training, career development and mentorship opportunities.
Be part of a community that works
At CSAA Insurance Group, we take pride in our values-based culture. Helping our employees lead enriched lives and satisfying careers is how we work. Our employees appreciate the integrity and inclusion that is evident throughout our everyday interactions. We respect the diverse range of perspectives, backgrounds and cultures of our teams, and join together when it comes to helping our members, community or one another.
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, California, our community also works in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Jersey and Oklahoma. Learn more about us at CSAA-Insurance.aaa.com/careers
Let's work together
Please submit your application to be considered. We communicate via email, so please check your inbox to ensure you don't miss important updates from us. Questions? Please email us at TalentAcquisition@csaa.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top