R1894 Senior Paralegal (Open)
Walnut Creek, California
- Legal file review and initial drafting of legal documents, discovery, pleadings and trial documents, including jury instructions, pre-trial motions and other pleadings. Draft discovery requests and prepare responses to discovery.
- Calculate statutory deadlines and timely complete assignments in compliance with internal and external deadlines.
- Independently identify tasks to be performed in specific files, under supervision of counsel.
- Manage files with minimal attorney supervision and exercise sound legal judgment.
- Differentiate between decisions that can be made independently and those that need attorney consultation and involve the practice of law.
- Identify viable causes of action and draft original complaints. Primary focus of the law group is litigation to recover the amounts paid in both auto and homeowners insurance claims (subrogation).
- Sophisticated ability to utilize on line sources for investigatory purposes.
- Investigate subrogation claims and engage in investigatory fact-finding through a variety of means, including interactions with CSAA insureds and employees.
- Legal research, including using electronic resources (Lexis), on a variety of factual and legal issues involving civil procedure and subrogation law.
- Ability to add substantive value while assisting attorneys in preparing educational presentations.
- Ability to conduct comprehensive legal analysis for attorneys on a variety of issues.
- Assists attorney with preparation of evidence and works with retained experts.
- Responsible for range of administrative tasks including opening and closing files, calendaring court dates and processing invoices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong computer skills and demonstrated knowledge of legal software applications and Microsoft Office Suite, Power Point and Adobe Acrobat DC
- Adept written skills needed to compose quality legal documents and correspondence with minimal review
- Experience in civil tort litigation with an emphasis on negligence, product liability, premises liability and governmental liability.
- Ready ability to multitask and comfort in doing so. Quality attention to detail.
- Ability to handle and respond to sensitive and confidential information
- Strong analytical, verbal communication and organizational skills
- Advanced knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, principles and procedures
- Unwavering commitment to embrace both the spirit and specific requirements of the legal code of ethics
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a litigation team environment
- A resourceful problem-solver who enjoys championing workplace process efficiencies
Education, Work Experience, Licenses & Certifications
- Minimum of 8 years previous experience as a paralegal.
- Bachelor's degree in related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification(s) and/or licensure(s) in functional area.
- Paralegal certification per CA Business & Professions Code Section 6450-6456 or as required by statute in other states as applicable.
- Complete and stay current with Paralegal Continuing Education requirements.
- Notary license preferred
Meet Some of CSAA Insurance Group's Employees
Jose is in charge of understanding every disruption that takes place in the industry, then formulating a plan to continue helping clients succeed in spite of those issues.
Back to top