Litigation Attorney Oakland
- Oakland, CA
Are you an Insurance Defense Litigation Attorney that has ever considered going in-house? Are you looking to combine high level work and no billable hour requirements at a values based company? If so, consider joining CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA insurer, in our Oakland office.
CSAA is nationally acclaimed for extraordinary dedication to civic and social responsibility, having received the Corporate Equality Index Award year after year from the Human Rights Campaign; the Civic 50 Award (awarded to the 50 most community-minded companies nationally); the Diversity Leadership Award from Diversity Best Practices; the Supplier Diversity Champion and Trailblazer Awards from the California Department of Insurance; and our 99% employee volunteerism rate officially exceeds that of every other company of our size or greater. We Do Good Work, and Work to Do Good.
As a member of our legal team you will provide legal advice, counsel and representation for insureds and/or CSAA Insurance Group before courts or arbitration panels and advise company employees in their handling of claim matters. You will appear and advocate on behalf of CSAA IG and its member insureds.
Essential Functions/Principal Responsibilities
Our attorneys apply independent analysis and discernment with close coordination and input from claims specialists. You will conduct all phases of litigation including jury trials, motions, and arbitration hearings. You will typically be assigned and responsible for more complex and/or higher value cases, and will work on a variety of moderately complex assigned legal projects including matters not in litigation. Our attorneys identify issues with major implications, high liability exposure, special circumstances and/or departure from guidelines. You will refer to higher level staff for review and possible assignment of additional resources, and will monitor and analyze existing and emerging laws and regulations affecting insurance operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of personal injury law and procedure.
- Knowledge of general liability insurance coverage and CSAA IG policies.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in an organized and timely manner. You advocate creatively, persuasively and effectively.
- Computer skills, MS office, online research tools such as Lexis.
- Knowledge of medical-legal issues pertaining to tort law.
- You understand the legal implications of information found in medical records.
- Knowledge of current law and issues within area of specialty.
- You think and act independently in a client?s best interest.
- Knowledge and understanding of legal ethics.
Education, Work Experience, Licenses & Certifications
- J.D. degree and active admission to practice law in California
- 8+ years experience in insurance defense practice
- 3 ? 5 years experience running caseload for and leading legal teams preferred.
We Offer Many Benefits, Including:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance coverage including benefits coverage for domestic partners. Company contributions into a Health Savings Account (HSA).
- Employee assistance, healthy pregnancy and wellness programs.
- Paid time off, plus nine paid holidays and 24 hours of volunteer time off.
- 401(k) plus company matching up to 6% and a cash balance retirement program.
- Tuition reimbursement, self-service training and career development opportunities.
Be part of a community that works
We take pride in our values-based culture and help our employees lead enriched lives with satisfying careers. Our employees appreciate the integrity and inclusion that is evident throughout our everyday interactions. We respect the diverse range of perspectives, backgrounds and cultures and join together when it comes to helping our members, community or one another.
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, California, our community also works in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Jersey and Oklahoma. Learn more about us at CSAA-Insurance.aaa.com/careers
Let?s work together
Please submit your application to be considered. We communicate via email, so please check your inbox to ensure you don?t miss relevant updates from us. Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top