Head of Corporate Innovation
Head of Corporate Innovation
R1620 Head of Corporate Innovation (Open)
Walnut Creek, California
The Strategy & Innovation team is a newly formed function at CSAA IG with the mission to 'innovate our future' by creating new products, services, and ventures that deliver extraordinary value to current and future AAA members. We are aiming high with an audacious goal to create $1B in new revenue in the next decade. Toward this end, we are building a portfolio of growth initiatives through a combination of new business incubation, commercial piloting, venture investing, strategic partnerships, and business development. The result will be new sources of value and relevance to our existing AAA members and club partners, an expansion and diversification of our business, an associated expansion of our member base, and competitive advantage in the markets we serve.
Reporting to the Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer, the Head of Corporate Innovation is responsible for: creating and leading an innovation growth system that can repeatedly identify and build future growth businesses for the AAA ecosystem; and operating as an innovation center of excellence within CSAA IG. The successful candidate will be accountable for creating and managing this new growth system, resulting in a portfolio of new growth ventures that can contribute significantly to our goal of $1B in new revenue over the next decade.
The Head of Corporate Innovation will drive our response to emerging threats and opportunities through a variety of approaches including collaborating with our Strategy & Innovation teams, innovating with our product and technology teams, teaming up with multiple parts of our core business, and partnering with leading and new outside companies.
- Set the strategy and execute the operational model for significant new growth through innovation at CSAA IG
- Design and guide a new innovation growth system that can repeatedly identify and build future growth businesses within and outside the core, representing new sources of short, medium, and long-term sustainable growth
- Collaborate with strategy and the corporate venture capital team to understand the competitive landscape, define strategic focus areas and identify key trends and emerging technologies/business models to explore
- Build a healthy pipeline of new business concepts, informed by research, trends, and partnership opportunities
- Execute proofs-of-concept (POCs) and pilots using a lean, agile approach
- Establish portfolio management tracking and reporting for operational metrics and overall portfolio value over time
- Ensure we are telling the story and finding unique ways to demonstrate the value and impact we are having through the innovation programs, contributing to our cultural initiatives
- Operate as a center of excellence for the company in innovation tools and methods (Design Thinking, Stage Gate, Lean Startup, Business Model Canvas, etc.)
- Create new programs and initiatives that promote adoption of entrepreneurial skills and best practices
- Be a vocal and visible supporter and evangelist within the company and AAA ecosystem for 'innovating our future'
Build team and system to drive innovation growth ventures for the company, culminating in a portfolio that can contribute $1B in new revenue over the next 10 years. Meaningfully contribute to deepening and strengthening our culture of innovation.
- Minimum 10-12 years' experience in corporate innovation
- Relevant experience in a managerial role with responsibility for new business creation, strategic business development, P&L management, and/or customer experience design
- BA/BS required, MBA preferred
- Successful track record of conceptualizing, investing in and commercializing innovative new growth businesses
- Intellectually curious and well-versed in disruptive technology trends, products and business models, preferably those in sharing economy, IOT, connected car and future of mobility, next-gen insurance models
- Passionate, inspirational story teller, with the strategic vision and ability to paint a picture of the future that others are drawn to help create
- Expert in agile, design thinking and lean innovation tools and methods
- Excellent influencing skills; persuasive communicator and thought leader; ability to forge effective relationships across the enterprise
- Collaborative team player, strong mentoring and team building skills
- Self-starter and quick study – with a bias for action, speed, and results
Meet Some of CSAA Insurance Group's Employees
Jose is in charge of understanding every disruption that takes place in the industry, then formulating a plan to continue helping clients succeed in spite of those issues.
Back to top