Systems Technical Lead
Cree is looking for an innovative technical leader to drive systems architecture and engineering for the SmartCastTM intelligent lighting system. The candidate will lead cross-functional technical efforts throughout the system design lifecycle to deliver industry-changing lighting controls platforms. The ideal candidate will have the ability to both architect and engineer intelligent lighting solutions that scale from isolated networks to IoT-enabled networks. This engineer will work within cross functional groups consisting of marketing, R&D engineering, product engineering and manufacturing to design and deliver products to market. Responsibilities will include concept development, systems definition and requirements management, systems engineering, cross-functional technical leadership, systems verification and validation, and cross-functional risk management. A successful candidate will be a hands-on, resourceful problem solver with a curiosity for technology, who is able to become a subject matter expert on complex systems, technologies, and networking concepts and consistently strive for integration of new technologies and methods that add customer value.
Check out http://www.cree.com/smartcast for more details on this revolutionary intelligent lighting technology
What can Cree do for you?
- Get in on the ground floor of a new technology
- Chance to make real decisions that impact the fastest growing division within Cree
- Freedom to innovate and influence a technology product that is not currently available on the market
- Join a growing company that is recognized as one of the most innovated companies in the US.
What can you do for Cree?
- Work with marketing, engineering, and stakeholders to identify operational concepts, key metrics, market needs, and competitive advantages. Define system concepts and requirements for new product introduction.
- Work with the R&D organization to identify system technology gaps and drive optimal, time-effective solutions.
- Provide cross-functional technical leadership during project execution, managing risk items and driving technical solutions to diverse problems (e.g. controls, optics and sensors, mechanical, electrical, software, algorithms, and verification).
- Provide design specifications for internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in cross-functional design reviews to ensure requirements compliance and system operational performance metrics are maintained.
- Evaluate industry standards, requirements and trends, and new technologies with focus on continuous improvement and innovation for lighting controls platforms. Continually challenge market expectations to deliver a leading edge product that separates Cree from its competitors.
What you need for success:
- B.S. in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other technical related field
- Demonstrated ability to deliver a product from concept to production.
- 3+ years in systems architecture, systems engineering, or a systems-focused design position.
- 5+ years in product development with exposure to user interfaces, sensor integration, complex (smart) algorithms, embedded development, networking and protocols, and cross-functional design.
- 3+ years in IoT or WoT development and technologies with a focus on connecting end devices to the internet.
- Strong technical background in multiple disciplines. Ability to identify, analyze and provide resolution to a broad spectrum of system issues.
- Ability to dive into new domains and technologies and quickly emerge as a subject matter expert
- Ability to manage risk items, drive issue resolution, and work across a cross-functional team to maintain positive momentum while solving complex issues.
- Demonstrated ability to drive top-down design methodologies to provide a common language and understanding for cross-functional design teams.
- Provide technical ownership and influential leadership throughout the systems lifecycle, defending design decisions with key stakeholders to include chief engineers, executive management, and product marketing.
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent organizational skills.
- Self-starter with strong personal work ethic and accountability. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment focused on innovation and solving complex problems while changing an industry.
- Willing to travel – both domestic and international.
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- M.S. in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other technical related field.
- 7+ years in systems architecture, design, and strategy for the IoT/WoT
- Experience with wireless and wired network protocols, hardware/software interaction and architectures, and multi-processor systems
- Experience with lighting and/or lighting controls a plus.
- Strong wired and wireless networking expertise.
- SOA and Cloud Service models
- Vision and Strategic Alignment
- Strong leadership and team building experience.
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer.
Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top