Systems Design Engineer
We currently have an opening for a Systems Engineer in our Intelligent Lighting group, located in our Lighting Division headquarters in Durham, NC. If you’re an experienced Systems Engineer, now is your chance to join the LED Lighting Revolution!
Cree is looking for an innovative technical leader to drive systems architecture and engineering for the SmartCastTM intelligent lighting system. The candidate will lead cross-functional technical efforts throughout the system design lifecycle to deliver industry-changing lighting controls platforms. The ideal candidate will have the ability to both architect and engineer lighting controls solutions. This engineer will work within cross functional groups consisting of marketing, R&D engineering, product engineering and manufacturing to deliver products to market. Responsibilities will include support of product introduction, systems definition and requirements management, systems engineering and cross-functional technical leadership, systems verification and validation, and cross-functional risk management. A successful candidate will be a hands-on, resourceful problem solver with a curiosity for technology, who is able to become a subject matter expert on complex systems and consistently strive for integration of new technologies and methods.
Check out http://www.cree.com/smartcast for more details on this revolutionary intelligent lighting technology!
- Work with marketing, engineering, and stakeholders to identify operational concepts, key metrics, market needs, and competitive advantages. Define system concepts and requirements for new product introduction.
- Work with the R&D organization to identify system technology gaps and drive optimal, time-effective solutions.
- Provide cross-functional technical leadership during project execution, managing risk items and driving technical solutions to diverse problems (e.g. controls, optics and sensors, mechanical, electrical, software, algorithms, and verification).
- Provide design specifications for internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in cross-functional design reviews to ensure requirements compliance and system operational performance metrics are maintained.
- Evaluate industry standards, requirements and trends, and new technologies with focus on continuous improvement and innovation for lighting controls platforms. Continually challenge market expectations to deliver a leading edge product that separates Cree from its competitors.
- B.S. in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other technical related field
- 5+ years in systems architecture and/or systems engineering. Demonstrated ability to deliver a product from concept definition to production and support.
- 5+ years in product development with exposure to user interfaces, sensor integration, complex (smart) algorithms, embedded development, and cross-functional design.
- Strong technical background in multiple disciplines. Ability to indentify, analyze and provide resolution to a broad spectrum of system issues.
- Ability to dive into new domains and technologies and quickly emerge as a subject matter expert
- Ability to manage risk items, drive issue resolution, and work across a cross-functional team to maintain positive momentum while solving complex issues.
- Demonstrated ability to drive top-down design methodologies, requirements flowdown, and systems definition and specification to provide a common language and understanding for cross-functional design teams.
- Provide technical ownership and influential leadership throughout the systems lifecycle.
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent organizational skills.
- Self-starter with strong personal work ethic and accountability. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment focused on innovation and solving complex problems while changing an industry.
- Willing to travel – both domestic and international.
- M.S. in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other technical related field.
- 10+ years in systems architecture and design
- Experience with wireless and wired network protocols, hardware/software interaction and architectures, and multi-processor systems
- Experience with lighting and/or lighting controls a plus.
- Strong leadership and team building experience.
Back to top