Supplier Quality Engineer
Job Description – Senior Supplier Quality Engineer
This position, which reports to Cree’s Director of Supplier Quality Management for LED Products and Wolfspeed Business Units in Durham, North Carolina. This person will play a key role to implement, maintain and continually improve the Supplier Quality Management (SQM) policies and practices to ensure that the suppliers meet CREE and Wolfspeed requirements. In addition, He/She will ensure the SQM policies and practices achieve and maintain compliance to the adopted standards of IATF 16949:2016, ISO 9001:2015, and key customer requirements.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Perform as a SQE in to improve supplier and supplied item qualification and surveillance activities to the reduce occurrences and risks of product resulting from supplier excursions. Implement SQM policies and practices to accommodate tiered suppliers and supplied items suitable to business need requirements such as automotive, key and commodity supplier types. This includes:
- Establish improved practices and protocols for assessing and qualifying supplier to be on the CREE and Wolfspeed Approved Supplier List.
- Establish improved practices and protocols for assessing and qualifying supplied items to be on the CREE and Wolfspeed Qualified Items list.
- Establish and implement Quality Agreements suitable to CREE and Wolfspeed business needs. Work with Supply Chain to deploy track and manage supplier’s adherence to these AQM agreements.
- Integrate the effective use of APQP/PPAP policies and method in a tiered manner across the supply base.
- Work with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team during our New Product Introduction process to define supplier requirements that should be addressed during supplied item qualifications.
- This includes establishing policies and protocols for assessing the manufacturing readiness of suppliers during NPI to ensure they are capable of delivering to the required quality standards. Deploy readiness audits that demonstrate suppliers capability of meeting defined NPI quality standards.
- Manage the CREE and Wolfspeed quality supplier activity by supporting, developing and implementing quality metrics, including supplier scorecards, that evaluates and drives supplier performance. Review and evaluate supplier quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain. Work jointly with Supply Chain, conduct regular Supplier reviews meetings with key suppliers to provide them feedback and drive further improvement.
- Manage CREE and Wolfspeed Supplier Corrective Action Request (SCAR) process to ensure timely and effective root cause analysis and corrective actions process of supplier quality issues. Perform on-site supplier visits for root cause analysis and verification of corrective actions of supplier quality issues when needed. When appropriate work with the supplier directly, to create corrective action plans to address process failures.
- Review supplier manufacturing processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities.
- Promote the use of customer preferred techniques for continuous improvement such as Lean, Six-Sigma, Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis and FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis), Maverick Programs.
- Define PPAP requirements by Supplier type. Organize within the BU the review of supplier provided PPAP documentation to ensure their adequacy. Manage the PPAP product warrant submission review and approval process.
- Design and implement a Supplier Audit Program that addresses qualification, surveillance and for cause audits. Establish audit criteria, pass/fail criteria and checklists. Work with Supply Chain to implement the Supplier Audit Program. Track and manage the resolution of any audit findings.
- Establish as supplier change notification process that advises the BU on supplier initiated proposed changes. Work with the Engineering/Operations Teams to review approve and qualify proposed changes.
- Demonstrate abilities to lead in problem solving/countermeasure events where quality issues are diagnosed, discussed, and resolved.
- Lead and drive the organization using widely accepted quality techniques such as the 8D problem solving, 5 Whys, Kaizen events, etc.
- Adept at challenging participants to provide timely resolution to quality issues.
- Adept at dealing with quality issues by written documentation, conference calls, or in person.
- Adept with working with other departments to develop plans, presentations and other materials as may be necessary to resolve quality issues and in a timely manner.
- Adept at developing project and implementation plans, be able to drive progress within and across departments to meet objectives per the plan or defined timelines.
- Must be able to provide timely communication across the organization on quality related matters and be willing and able to escalate those issues requiring immediate attention.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and/or Industrial Engineering; and/or suitable work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of Supplier Quality Managements systems.
- The candidate should be familiar with all PPAP elements such that he/she can prepare, review and verify, coach and/or train the organization on their effective use.
- Preferred Certified Lead Auditor to IATF 16949.
- Preferred Lean/Six Sigma certification or equivalent work experience or company certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality assurance and reliability methods and improvement tools.
- Experience in the automotive industry that demonstrates working knowledge for quality requirements, protocols and automotive customer’s expectations is desired.
- Preferred understanding of fundamental Quality and Manufacturing monitoring software, such as SPC software, JMP or Minitab, MS Project, and MS Access.
- 5 years experience as a Supplier Quality Engineer who can demonstrate effectively leading an organization to improvement performance using quality methods and approaches.
- Expertise with semiconductor design and manufacturing processes.
- Fluent in English.
- US citizen or Green card holder.
- Self-starter, able to manage projects with minimal guidance
- Able to adjust to changing priorities and schedules in order to keep projects and commitments on-track
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to make individual contributions while staying focused on the goals of the group.
- Resourceful, hands-on, problem solving individual with initiative and drive to work around technical obstacles.
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Process Engineer, Wolfspeed
Nathan ensures that Cree and its customers are set up for success by implementing efficient processes that allow new features and issue resolutions to be created quickly.
Back to top