Software Engineer – Networked Intelligent Lighting
We currently have an opening for a Software Engineer – Networked Intelligent Lighting within our Lighting R&D group in Santa Barbara, CA. We hope you’ll read on to see if you have what it takes to join the revolution.
Cree is looking for a self-motivated, hands-on software engineer to define and develop new high value features within the Cree SmartCast® Intelligent Lighting portfolio and in follow-on generations of intelligent lighting products. The candidate shall take an integral part in definition, design and implementation of innovative new software applications. The candidate will thrive tackling a variety of aspects of software development from contributing to the SmartCast architecture definition, to deep diving into the application algorithm development and implementation. The ideal candidate will have the ability to both design and implement software solutions using modern development practices and tools. This engineer will work within cross functional groups consisting of engineering and manufacturing to research, develop, design, qualify and introduce intelligent and intuitive lighting platforms and systems into production. Responsibilities will include supporting product introduction. A successful candidate will be a driven and resourceful problem solver who is able to work around technical obstacles, will be adept at the implementation of creative and practical solutions and will embrace a pioneering spirit to create highly innovative solutions.
Check out http://www.cree.com/smartcast for more details on this revolutionary technology!
- Invent and develop novel software applications based on intelligent and networked lighting platforms and system solutions.
- Create detailed software requirements and specifications based on product specifications.
- Design and implement software from concept to production including a high level of interaction with embedded firmware, test, and product marketing team members.
- Work with cross functional development team to ensure the system performs according to specifications and quality requirements.
- Write software test plans and conduct developer level testing, interface with system test team members.
- Support, maintain, and document software functionality.
- Perform code reviews and other activities to ensure high-quality results.
- Drive software development best practices and leverage tools to achieve high quality and on-time delivery of software work products.
- Work directly with Manufacturing Operations and Engineering to ramp new products and processes into production.
- Drive continuous improvement in methods and tools to develop world class software features.
- Work across company functional organizations to ensure project success.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other technical related field.
- 3+ years of software development experience. Demonstrated ability to deliver on solutions and own development from concept through full functionality or production launch.
- Demonstrated expert with a track record of creating highly innovative first-to-market products and features.
- Strong technical background in programming fundamentals and software architecture development.
- Experience in cross-platform and cross-language development, and in collaborative coding.
- Ability to work independently and be self-sufficient while managing multiple projects. Strong organizational skills both in day to day work flow and in software documentation.
- Ability to dive into new domains and technologies and quickly emerge as a subject matter expert.
- Critical thinker that challenges assumptions and seeks new ideas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment focused on innovation and solving complex problems.
- Self-starter with strong personal work ethic. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Willing to travel – both domestic and international.
- Complex algorithm development
- Mastery of at least one programming language, C++ or similar.
- Knowledge of communication systems, including network architectures, application-layer protocols, IP, and physical-layer media/interfaces
- Experience in designing, documenting and building RESTful web services.
Expertise in at least three of the following areas:
- Image processing, computer vision, visual sensor networks
- Sensor-domain specific algorithms
- Internet of Things
- Cloud-based development
- UI/UX design.
- Experience developing mobile apps for iOS and/or Android
- Knowledge of Web Services Interoperability and WS standards.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other technical related field.
- Knowledge of data driven designs including database design, implementation (SQL Server and/or MySQL) and writing database-integrated applications.
- Experience with lighting controls a plus.
- Software, Algorithm, C, C++, Java, Python, RESTful, Web Services, image processing, computer vision, cloud computing, mobile apps, UI/UX, IoT, WSN, Sensor, Network, Communication, IP, Wireless, Intelligent Lighting, Automated Test, LED
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Manager, Sustaining Engineering
Katrina pushes lighting technology forward by managing the engineers who assemble the inner workings of the Cree LED Bulb. She also looks at data to brainstorm ways to make the brightest LED components possible.
Back to top