Senior RF Design Engineer
Wolfspeed (Cree's Power & RF division) is one of the world's leading suppliers of gallium nitride (GaN) wafers and devices for RF communications, radar and electronic warfare. Our business is growing rapidly and is in need of a Senior RF Design Engineer for our RF product development team. The primary focus of this role is the design, test and evaluation of cutting edge products using GaN HEMT technology.
What can Wolfspeed do for you?
- Potential for future mobility within a strong-growth oriented company and a technology leader in Power and RF devices
- Our company has a broad portfolio in growing markets, which provides good opportunities for stability and experience
- Be a part of a strong technical team that values agility, contribution, and enjoying work
- Work directly with technology directly contributing to the future of transportation, energy, and communications
What can you do for Wolfspeed?
- Take a key role in providing technical input to the business unit across multiple areas, from die development to PA architecture optimization
- Develop RF power amplifier (RFPA) solutions using established and advanced architectures to achieve higher levels of performance in future customer systems
- Research specific transistor die level requirement to improve RFPA system level performance in terms of efficiency, linearity, and bandwidth
- Work with the packaging team to develop innovative transistor packaging solutions to meet performance and form-factor requirements
- Develop the necessary integrated passive device designs for input & output matching, as well as interstage circuit design
- Work alongside digital pre distortion engineers to investigate correlation between power amplifier implementation and DPD linearization behavior
- Work with customers’ advanced development teams to define device level solutions as well as RFPA modules for future market requirement
- Pursue state of the art technology to push the boundary of efficiency of the RFPA devices and circuits
- Explore harmonic effects and high efficiency modes of RF power amplifier operation
- Combined use of non-linear model based analysis, as well as automated load-pull to study device and circuit behavior
- Bring idea from concept stage to laboratory prototype using appropriate RF simulations
- Must be US Citizen or Permanent Resident
What you need for success:
- MSEE or PhD in Electrical / Electronic Engineering with at least three years experience in RF power amplifier design
- Solid understanding of RFPA theory, load line theory, impact of harmonic and fundamental impedance, device parasitics
- Highly proficient in impedance matching network theory, matching bandwidth and Q
- Solid understanding of Doherty amplifier system design and operation, load modulation, loss mechanisms, device asymmetry and topology selection
- Skilled in the use of EDA tools such as ADS, AWR, HFSS and Matlab
- Highly proficient in linear, non-linear and electromagnetic analysis of RF components
- Good understanding of digital pre-distortion (DPD), and corresponding RF power amplifier design optimization
- Proficient in the operation of RF laboratory equipment, including automated load pull, network and spectrum analyzer, oscilloscope, power meter etc.
- Open minded perspective to other technical inputs
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- Minimum of MSEE with >5 years’ experience in RF/Microwave Power Amplifier design
- Desired: PhD in electrical engineering + 3 years’ experience in RF/microwave Power Amplifier
- 5 years microwave circuit design experience required with at least 2 years on GaN desired
- RFIC, MMIC, and module power amplifier design experience is a plus
- Experienced user of AWR and ADS linear and non-linear circuit simulators
- Experienced user of 2.5 and 3D electromagnetic simulation software
- Experienced user of microwave test equipment
- Experience with standard device characterization/de-embedding techniques
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top