Senior Power Electronics Design Engineer
We currently have a job opening for a Senior Power Electronics Design Engineer in the Applications Engineering Team located in our Fayetteville, AR technology center. The position reports to the Power Electronics Applications Manager, within Wolfspeed’s Power Modules Department, located in Fayetteville Arkansas. This job opportunity is for an experienced power electronics design engineer with a thorough and detailed understanding of power electronics design, controls, simulations and a knowledge of the WBG SiC device technology. The applicant must be knowledgeable of design, simulation, implementation and testing of DC-DC, AC-DC, AC-DC-AC power conversion systems.
What can Wolfspeed do for you?
- Opportunity to design and develop next generation WBG SiC based power conversion systems that can significantly impact a number of energy-related applications such as electric-vehicles, smart grid, renewable energy, and defense applications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced working environment, on challenging multi-discipline engineering problems within a team as well as across other teams
- Opportunity to design and develop prototypes using state-of-the-art design and simulation tools that are transitioned to a product and inserted into real world applications
- Further your professional career by on-site training, attending professional/engineering conferences, and external certifications
- Provide an opportunity to work on the next generation power electronics products
What can you do for Wolfspeed?
- Interface with module design and packaging engineers as well as manufacturing engineers to develop next generation power modules to bring the power electronics industry to next level.
- Perform research, design, and development efforts for innovative power converters and controls using next generation WBG devices.
- Perform system level performance analysis using computer simulation tools, modeling inverter and converter circuits using active semiconductor switching devices, and applying passive components required in converter power circuits such as capacitors, inductors, and transformers
- Design, develop and test advanced power electronic converters and inverters (50kW-2MW). This includes power device selection, semiconductor loss modeling, semiconductor characterization, mechanical layout of high-current, high-frequency conductors, and detailed electrical design of control and associated protection and gate drive circuits according to established procedures.
- Build prototypes and test fixtures. Perform verification testing on new designs and products, perform product cost and reliability analysis and provide assembly and test instructions for technicians.
- Develop integrated sensors and gate drivers, and innovative PCB control circuitries for SiC based power electronics converters.
- Lead proposal writing efforts for programs with the DOD, NASA, DOE, ARPA-E, and other agencies.
- Assist in conducting experiments, acquiring data, and preparing application notes.
- Support Wolfspeed’s global customer base.
- Must be a team player with good communication and documentation skills.
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization.
What you need for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering. Applicants with a M.S. or Ph.D. degree will also be given strong consideration
- 6+ years relevant experience with design of medium to large power conversion systems
- Strong knowledge in power converter topologies and controls
- Familiar with circuit simulation experience using PSPICE, MATLAB/SIMULINK etc.
- Experience in writing technical documents such as hardware requirements and specifications, product design specifications, test specifications, schematic, board level design details etc.
- Technical project planning experience
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, written, and presentation).
- Excellent team player
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- Knowledge of power devices such as SiC MOSFETs, SiC Schottky Diodes, SiC TMOS, GaN MOSFETs, GaN Diodes etc.
- Knowledge in EMC including EMC robustness design, EMC testing and root cause analysis of EMC problems.
- Multi-level power converter design experience at MV levels, 4.16 kV- 13.8 kV.
- Model based design experience.
- A least 4 years’ experience with electronic circuit troubleshooting in a laboratory environment.
- Strong troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills.
- Hands-on approach: Helps out wherever the team needs help, does whatever is necessary to meet customer expectations and deliverables.
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Director of Advanced Technology
John leads a team of diverse engineers creating the next generation of LED lighting products. His focus is intelligent lighting systems and innovative advancements for current technologies.
Back to top