Senior Packaging Engineer
We are seeking a RF/Microwave packaging engineer to work for the RF product development team. The primary focus is to support product development through thermal and mechanical anaylses, package design and product qualification activites of products using GaN HEMT technology.
- Packaging technology development for GaN on SiC based microwave products to include but not limited to packaging material selection and characterization, thermal & mechanical analysis, assembly process development & manufacturability assessments, & reliability characterization.
- Existing package redesigns in order to improve device performance, manufacturability, reliability or cost.
- Coordination of product qualification activities and helping resolve packaging and assembly related issues during product development.
- Working with various internal teams to ensure departmental objectives and quarterly goals are met.
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, material science, electrical engineering or equivalent technical degree.
- 3-5 years of semiconductor packaging experience with hands on mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge of packaging materials such as metal flanges, ceramics, PCBs, lead frames, plating, solders, thermoset epoxies & mold compounds.
- Capable of performing thermal and mechanical analysis using FEA software such Ansys.
- Knowledge of chip and wire assembly processes such as die attach, wirebonding, lid sealing and transfer molding.
- Experience with setting up and executing DOEs and performing capability analysis.
- Familiarity with reliability, failure analysis and characterization processes/equipment such as thermal measurements systems, temperature cycling and THB chambers, cross sectioning, thermal profiling and SEM/FIB.
- Familiarity of MIL & JEDEC standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and team skills.
Should posses one or more of the following criteria:
- Minimum of 3 years experience with RF/microwave packaging & assembly technologies.
- In depth knowledge of electronic packaging material and their associated mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties.
- Thorough understanding of packaging electrical characteristics and impacts on product performance from DC to 20 GHz.
- In depth knowledge of Ansys including transient thermal and non-linear thermo mechanical analysis.
- Experience with GaN on SiC as a die material.
- Hands on experience characterization methods including IR based thermal measurements, acoustic microscopy & thermal profiling.
- Hands on experience with AuSn based die attach, thermoset epoxy dispense, wire bonding, lid sealing, and transfer mold processes.
- Experience with JMP software and applying statistical analysis methods to product/process development.
- Experience with managing off shore assembly subcontractors during product development.
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top