Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Manufacturing Engineer – Responsibilities
- Works to create and maintain a safe work environment
- Use expert knowledge of Lean manufacturing to reduce wastes throughout the entire value stream while creating systems that can be deployed throughout the entire operations facility (other value streams and departments)
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods to reduce cost and improve quality
- Responsible for assisting in the execution of SQDCI goals while participating in Managing for Daily Improvement throughout areas of responsibility
- Analyzes and plans work force utilization, space requirements, and workflow, and designs layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency
- Confers with planning and design staff concerning product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods
- Develops complete project plans including resources, costs, benefits and schedules. Assumes full responsibility for all aspects of projects to ensure goals are met on time
- Communicates project status to stakeholders as appropriate and follows up to ensure project results are sustained
- Collaborates with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts
- Evaluates products per specifications and quality standards
- Works as part of a cross-functional group to implement lean principles. Leads and facilitates lean activities as needed
- Prepares and maintains manufacturing documentation (Routings, OMS’s, and MI’s) for new and existing products in manufacturing
- Prepares documentation using Excel, CAD packages, Word, and digital photography
- Estimates production times, staffing requirements, and related costs to provide information for management decisions
- Confers with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes
- Applies problem solving techniques to resolve both customer and internal quality issues for manufactured products
- Participates in PFMEA (Process, Failure, Mode, Effects, Analysis), Quality Plan development for new and existing product
The primary focus of the Senior Manufacturing Engineer will be driving SQDCI goals set by the organization within their respective Value Stream and Value Stream Manager, utilizing Lean expertise to reduce wastes. This individual will lead simultaneous projects, cost-outs, and LEAN events while also taking lead on Manufacturing/Industrial Engineering support of manual assembly of high technology light fixtures. The successful candidate will be well versed in engineering support of high mix, medium volume and will solve problems using established resources within the company, external to the company, and creative thinking and troubleshooting to maximize benefits of consistent and well planned change. The individual should thrive in a data driven, high-pressure, detail and deadline-oriented atmosphere.
What can Cree do for you?
Cree is a passionate, innovative, industry leading company. We provide a dynamic work environment, a world-class Operations team, and ample room for growing whole individuals. We do great things and want great people to take part. We provide career paths that match the maximum effectiveness of high-success individuals and strive to be a leader in talent attraction.
What can you do for Cree?
You can use your skills, passion, and previous work experiences to bring Cree’s engineering team to a new level, setting the bar high for value-add activities and efforts.
What you need for success:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering
- 5-7 year of related experience in a complex manufacturing/assembly facility and exposure to high mix, medium volume production
- Strong background in leading LEAN events and leading LEAN related efforts, reducing wastes throughout the entire value stream (Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen Events, 5S, PFEP, JIT, Poka-yoke, one-piece flow, standard work, supermarkets, etc.)
- Ability to read blue prints or process plans
- Proficiency in Word, Excel along with preferred experience in an ERP system such as JDE, SAP, or Oracle
- Fact-based problem solving, analyzes situations and problems, uses sound judgment
- Clearly expresses oneself orally and in writing and ability to work in a cross functional team environment
- Effectively negotiates when necessary with capacity for learning
- Develops systems and processes, drives for result, adaptable to change and ambiguity and persists in the face of difficulties
- Ability to interpret engineering specifications through drawings and test control plans
- Ability to work independently and in teams on multiple projects simultaneously
- Positive, can-do attitude
- A drive to break barriers and an understanding that excellence is a habit
- Demonstrated capacity to take on more responsibilities pertaining to leadership and decisions making
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- MS in Manufacturing, Mechanical, or Industrial Engineering
- 10 years of related experience in complex/assembly facility and exposure to high mix, medium volume production
- Lean Six Sigma exposure and knowledge
- LEAN certification(s)
- Excellent aptitude and ability to interpret engineering specifications through product drawings and test control plans
- Strong proficiency in gathering and analyzing data for problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Adaptability in a fast-paced environment with a customer-focused execution of tasks
- Strong computer software skills, especially Microsoft Office
- Strong work ethic, attention to safety, quality, and sense of urgency
- Self-Starter with sense of self-reliance
- Ability to identify potential safety and performance issues and eliminate them
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 70 lbs., and routinely lift up to 30 lbs
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Director of Advanced Technology
John leads a team of diverse engineers creating the next generation of LED lighting products. His focus is intelligent lighting systems and innovative advancements for current technologies.
Back to top