RF/Microwave Applications Engineer
We are seeking a RF/Microwave power amplifier applications engineer working in the RF product development team. Primary focus is support for the sales and marketing teams in generating new design wins through design, test and evaluation of cutting edge products using GaN HEMT technology. The candidate will be responsible for providing technical support to key customers and facilitate the smooth transition of Cree’s RF products into new designs. This involves working directly with customers and Cree’s internal design and development teams.
- Design of product evaluation or reference designs, including complex architectures such as Doherty amplifiers and supply modulation, to highlight product performance
- Design of broadband matching networks including passives, wire bonds, single layer caps and PCB level techniques
- Multistage circuit design and layouts based on existing designs
- Specification and ordering of ancillary discrete components (e.g. ceramics, capacitors, packages, etc) as required for circuit and device evaluation
- Packaged transistor modeling using industry standard circuit simulators and custom models
- Circuit modeling simulations including harmonic balance, planar electromagnetic simulators to ensure first pass design success
- Device testing and evaluation including s-parameter, large signal load pull characterization modulated signal measurements and digital pre-distortion and envelope tracking system based measurements
- Generation of test fixture, device, assembly drawings and other process documentation
- Design planning and technical risk mitigation
- Participate in detailed design reviews of own designs and designs of colleagues
- Participation in customer meetings and reviews
- Supports the customer interface in understanding application requirements and assuring technical feasibility during the product development phase.
- Secure and maintain key relationships with design engineers in our target customer base.
- Establishing good relationships with customers
- Periodically travel to visit customers and assess customer needs and response
- MSEE and have a minimum of 5 years circuit design/measurement experience
- 3 years of compound semiconductor hybrid or MMIC high power amplifier experience
- Experience designing high power and high efficiency power amplifiers through use of large signal models
- A strong background in RF and Microwave measurements and familiarity with common software tools are a must
- Hands-on experience with board level tuning and optimization of amplifier matching networks
- Working knowledge of latest communications standards such as LTE and WiMAX in terms of power amplifier measurements and related specifications
- Experience using third party power amplifier linearization systems, i.e. digital pre-distortion (DPD)
- Good organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities to meet goals in fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to design within program cost and schedule constraints
- 8 years circuit design/measurement experience with at least 5 years on GaAs or GaN hybrid or MMIC high power amplifiers
- Experienced user of AWR and ADS non-linear circuit simulators
- Experienced user of Axiem and Sonnet electromagnetic modeling software
- Experienced user of microwave test equipment such as modern spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzer, signal generators, power meters
- Experience making measurements with latest communications standards such as LTE and WiMAX in terms of power amplifier specifications
- Experience with technical customer communications
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Manager, Sustaining Engineering
Katrina pushes lighting technology forward by managing the engineers who assemble the inner workings of the Cree LED Bulb. She also looks at data to brainstorm ways to make the brightest LED components possible.
Back to top