RF/Microwave Applications Engineer
We are seeking a RF/Microwave Applications Engineer working in the RF Applications team for Wolfspeed (Cree’s Power & RF division). Primary focus is support for the sales and marketing teams in generating new design wins through design, test and evaluation of cutting edge products using GaN HEMT technology. The candidate will be responsible for providing technical support to key customers and facilitate the smooth transition of Wolfspeed’s RF products into new designs. This involves working directly with customers and Wolfspeed's internal design and development teams.
What can Wolfspeed do for you?
In Wolfspeed's RF division your high-power amplifier experience will grow tremendously as you will work on any number of applications circuits including Multi-Octave Broadband, High Power (>1 kW) RADAR, High Frequency (X and Ku Bands), Multi Stage Discrete Circuit, MMICs plus all the other circuits that we can't talk about.
You will be in control of your design from start to finish as you will not only be designing any or all these types of circuits, but you will be the one testing, tuning and validating your design. With our industry-leading large signal models, first pass success will be something you will get used to. Plus, with our fab and assembly all under one roof you will get to work with our cutting-edge products with R&D Scientists, Product Development Engineers, Assembly and Marketing groups all striving to create the next jaw dropping product that the RF industry has come to expect from this team.
What can you do for Wolfspeed?
- Design of product evaluation or reference designs to highlight product performance
- Design of broadband matching networks including passives, wire bonds, single layer caps and PCB level techniques
- Multistage circuit design and layouts based on existing designs
- Specification and ordering of ancillary discrete components (e.g. ceramics, capacitors, packages, etc) as required for circuit and device evaluation)
- Packaged transistor modeling using industry standard circuit simulators and custom models
- Circuit modeling simulations including harmonic balance, planar electromagnetic simulators to ensure first pass design success
- Device testing and evaluation including s-parameter, large signal load pull characterization modulated signal measurements and digital pre-distortion and envelope tracking system-based measurements
- Generation of test fixture, device, assembly drawings and other process documentation
- Design planning and technical risk mitigation
- Participate in detailed design reviews of own designs and designs of colleagues
- Participation in customer meetings and reviews
- Supports the customer interface in understanding application requirements and assuring technical feasibility during the product development phase
- Secure and maintain key relationships with design engineers in our target customer base
- Establishing good relationships with customers
- Periodically travel to visit customers and assess customer needs and response
What you need for success:
- BSEE and have a minimum of 5 years circuit design/measurement experience
- 3 years of compound semiconductor hybrid or MMIC high power amplifier experience
- Experience designing high power and high efficiency power amplifiers through use of large signal models
- A strong background in RF and Microwave measurements and familiarity with common software tools are a must
- Hands-on experience with board level tuning and optimization of amplifier matching networks
- Working knowledge of latest communications in terms of power amplifier measurements and related specifications
- Good organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities to meet goals in fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to design within program cost and schedule constraints
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- 8 years circuit design/measurement experience with at least 5 years on GaAs or GaN hybrid or MMIC high power amplifiers
- Experienced user of AWR and ADS non-linear circuit simulators
- Experienced user of Axiem and Sonnet electromagnetic modeling software
- Experienced user of microwave test equipment such as modern spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzer, signal generators, power meters
- Experience making measurements with latest communications standards
- Experience with technical customer communications
At Cree, we’ve spent more than 30 years developing industry firsts as a leader in wide bandgap semiconductor technology. Not familiar with all of our products? That is because we are a part of the invisible revolution; if we do our job right you will never know we were there. Our products make impossible possible like our LEDs that power cities to our Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Gallium Nitride (GaN) components that power electric vehicles, solar energy, telecommunications and industrial, military and aerospace solutions.
We believe in enabling the world to do more with less. That’s why we encourage each other to think unconventionally, take ownership and solve real problems. Interested in a career at Cree? We want to meet you. Submit your application now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top