RF Design/Applications Engineer
We are seeking a RF Power Amplifier Design Engineer working in the RF Product Development team for Applications. Primary focus is support for the sales and marketing teams in generating new design wins through design, test and evaluation of cutting edge products using GaN HEMT technology. The candidate will be responsible for providing technical support to key customers and facilitate the smooth transition of Cree’s RF products into new designs. This involves working directly with customers and Cree’s internal design and development teams.
- Design of product evaluation or reference designs, including complex architectures such as Doherty amplifiers and supply modulation, to highlight product performance
- Design of broadband matching networks including passives, wire bonds, single layer caps and PCB level techniques
- Multistage circuit design and layouts based on existing designs
- Specification and ordering of ancillary discrete components (e.g. ceramics, capacitors, packages, etc) as required for circuit and device evaluation
- Packaged transistor modeling using industry standard circuit simulators and custom models
- Circuit modeling simulations including harmonic balance, planar electromagnetic simulators to ensure first pass design success
- Device testing and evaluation including s-parameter, large signal load pull characterization modulated signal measurements and digital pre-distortion and envelope tracking system based measurements
- Generation of test fixture, device, assembly drawings and other process documentation
- Design planning and technical risk mitigation
- Participate in detailed design reviews of own designs and designs of colleagues
- Participation in customer meetings and reviews
- Supports the customer interface in understanding application requirements and assuring technical feasibility during the product development phase
- Secure and maintain key relationships with design engineers in our target customer base
- Establishing good relationships with customers
- Periodically travel to visit customers and assess customer needs and response
- MSEE and have a minimum of 5 years circuit design/measurement experience
- 3 years of compound semiconductor hybrid or MMIC high power amplifier experience
- Experience designing high power and high efficiency power amplifiers through use of large signal models
- A strong background in RF and Microwave measurements and familiarity with common software tools are a must
- Hands-on experience with board level tuning and optimization of amplifier matching networks
- Working knowledge of latest communications standards such as LTE and WiMAX in terms of power amplifier measurements and related specifications
- Experience using third party power amplifier linearization systems, i.e. digital pre-distortion (DPD)
- Good organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities to meet goals in fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to design within program cost and schedule constraints
- 8 years circuit design/measurement experience with at least 5 years on GaAs or GaN hybrid or MMIC high power amplifiers
- Experienced user of AWR and ADS non-linear circuit simulators
- Experienced user of Axiem and Sonnet electromagnetic modeling software
- Experienced user of microwave test equipment such as modern spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzer, signal generators, power meters
- Experience making measurements with latest communications standards such as LTE and WiMAX in terms of power amplifier specifications
- Experience with technical customer communications
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Director of Advanced Technology
John leads a team of diverse engineers creating the next generation of LED lighting products. His focus is intelligent lighting systems and innovative advancements for current technologies.
Back to top