RF Design Engineer
The RF/Microwave Power Amplifier Design Engineer will be working in the RF product development team and the primary focus of this role is the design, test and evaluation of cutting edge products using GaN HEMT technology.
What can Wolfspeed do for you?
At Wolfspeed, you will:
- Design GaN high power amplifiers.
- Continue the acceleration of GaN adoption across the wireless frequency spectrum.
- Contribute to the crushing of inferior technologies such as GaAs and LDMOS and dominate the market.
- Own products from cradle to handoff (as opposed to more niche “production design centers” where designers only focus on one specific piece of an overall design.) You will learn MORE here.
- Experience both depth and breadth – high power, high frequency, high efficiency, linearity, quick turn, test, characterization, production.
- Understand how what you do contributes to the bottom line of the organization.
- Work for a small team (you will not be a “number” here!), but nor is this a startup. This is a world class, winning organization with a nimble footprint.
What can you do for Wolfspeed?
- Design of discrete, hybrid, and MMIC based packaged transistors and 50-ohm in/out high power amplifiers.
- Creation of custom electrical models of passive package parasitics and matching components such as alumina substrates, bondwire arrays, and high dielectric matching capacitors using industry standard 2.5D MoM and 3D FEM simulators.
- Device testing and characterization including s-parameter, large signal, load-pull, stability over temperature and VSWR, as well as market specific measurements on a per-product basis such as modulated signal measurements.
- Multistage circuit design and layouts based on existing designs
- Fulfilling samples requests for key customers
- External customer support
What you need for success:
- M.S.E.E. or equivalent experience
- 5 years microwave circuit design/measurement experience with 3 years of compound semiconductor, hybrid or MMIC power amplifier experience
- Working experience with industry standard non-linear circuit simulators ADS and MWO and electromagnetic modeling software (e.g. HFSS or equivalent)
- Working experience with microwave test equipment (e.g. Agilent VNAs) and standard device characterization/de-embedding techniques
- Background knowledge of latest communications standards such as LTE in terms of power amplifier measurements and related specifications
- Demonstrated ability to work within schedule constraints
- Experience with technical customer communications
- Excellent communication and team skills
- US Citizen or green card holder
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- 8 years microwave circuit design experience with at least 5 years on GaAs or GaN hybrid and MMIC power amplifiers
- Experienced user of AWR and ADS non-linear circuit simulators
- Experienced user of Axiem and HFSS electromagnetic modeling software
- Experienced user of microwave test equipment
- Experience with standard device characterization/de-embedding techniques
- Experience with measurement and design techniques to detect and prevent occurrence of oscillations in high power amplifiers.
- Working understanding of video bandwidth as it applies to power amplifiers for applications with linearity and wide instantaneous bandwidth requirements.
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Director of Advanced Technology
John leads a team of diverse engineers creating the next generation of LED lighting products. His focus is intelligent lighting systems and innovative advancements for current technologies.
Back to top