Research Scientist Materials
Cree | Wolfspeed Materials R&D is looking for a Research Scientist with a good understanding of crystalline materials behavior, experience with process statistics and 2D/3D modeling.
What can Cree | Wolfspeed do for you?
- Join the company that is a global leader in the manufacturing of 4H Silicon Carbide (SiC) substrates, SiC and III-Nitride epitaxial wafers
- Be part of the team that has long proven expertise in SiC and GaN materials technology advancement with the focus and commitment to bring high quality solution platforms across all applications
- The world runs on power and our SiC wide bandgap semiconductors far outperform conventional silicon components and set new standards for efficiency and reliability
What can you do for Cree | Wolfspeed?
- Carry out research within the SiC applied scientific field that involves development and design work
- Optimize crystal growth and wafer based processes and technology
- Implement innovative solutions to SiC technology problems
- Drive cutting edge technology to high yield producibility
- Develop project plans, technical approaches, timelines and deliverables for assigned projects
- Work on several projects, simultaneously and deliver results in complete ownership
- Work to establish practices which include employees’ positive involvement with opportunity for constructive input and action
- Establish accountability for problem solving both on a permanent and ad-hoc basis, depending on need
What you need for success:
- PhD in Materials, Chemical, Ceramics, Electrical Engineering, or Physical Science with Engineering degree, or MS with 5+ years of related industrial R&D experience
- Good understanding of crystalline materials
- Statistical data analysis skills and experience
- Computational skills towards thermal modeling and technical drawings
- Hands on electrical and mechanical skills and experience
- Vacuum technology knowledge background
- Independent thinking, attention to detail, strong organizational and planning abilities
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong leadership skills, high energy, self motivated with “whatever it takes” attitude
- Ability to work constructively with a team of manufacturing personnel, engineers and technicians
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- Knowledge in SiC and related materials
- Characterization skills involving crystallography and semiconductors
- Simulation and data analysis skills and experience on tools such as SEQUEL, JMP, R, TensorFlow, PyTorch, MXNet, FE multi physics simulation, COMSOL, ANSYS , Mathematica, FIDAP, Autodesk Inventor, ProE, AutoCAD, or similar
This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management.
At Cree | Wolfspeed, we’ve spent more than 30 years developing industry firsts as a leader in wide bandgap semiconductor technology. Not familiar with all of our products? That is because we are a part of the invisible revolution; if we do our job right you will never know we were there. Our products make impossible possible like our LEDs that power cities to our Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Gallium Nitride (GaN) components that power electric vehicles, solar energy, telecommunications and industrial, military and aerospace solutions.
We believe in enabling the world to do more with less. That’s why we encourage each other to think unconventionally, take ownership and solve real problems. Interested in a career at Cree | Wolfspeed? We want to meet you. Submit your application now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
See Inside the Office of Cree
Cree believes in better light and is leading the way toward a more efficient, sustainable future by producing innovative LED lighting and semiconductor solutions for homes, businesses, and beyond. The company also pioneers new technologies and explores how best to improve what’s already introduced with smart-technology integrations. The company’s mission and achievements aren’t just shining—they’re beaming.
Back to top