Job Title: Research Scientist III
We currently have the need for a Research Scientist located in Research Triangle Park (RTP), North Carolina.
This research position for development of Silicon Carbide (SiC) power devices is located at the Research Triangle Park (RTP) facility in North Carolina. In this role you will be responsible for the development of next generation SiC Power Semiconductor Devices, which includes device epitaxy specifications, device design and layout, wafer fabrication and process integration development, final parametric testing and studies of long-term device reliability. You will have the opportunity to work closely with other members of the Device R&D and Process Development Teams and the Power Product Development Team to bring new device designs and processes to market. Both entry-level and experienced candidates are encouraged to apply.
WHAT CAN WOLFSPEED DO FOR YOU:
- We have a fast-paced environment, in which we are leading the next revolution in power electronic devices
- Our Power Device Products are enabling the coming boom in the electrification of automobiles and the surge in renewable power generation, and you will have an opportunity to participate in these critical technologies that will have a global impact
- You will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of leading edge devices at the leading Silicon Carbide Power Semiconductor Device company
- You will collaborate with industry leaders and experts on the newest technology and product designs
- You will have access to professional and technical growth opportunities in the rapidly expanding Silicon Carbide Power Semiconductor market
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or related discipline
- 5+ years experience in semiconductor device design and/or process integration
- Solid understanding of semiconductor physics
- Strong knowledge of semiconductor characterization techniques, statistical analysis of data, and design of experiments
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and own projects with little supervision, as well as possession of a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure successful project execution.
- Ph.D. degree Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or related discipline
- Fundamental understanding of Power Semiconductor Device design, including MOSFETs and Diodes
- Experience in Silicon Carbide Power or Gallium Nitride Device Processing and Characterization, including photolithography, dry and wet etch processes, physical and chemical vapor deposition, thermal processing, and other semiconductor manufacturing processes.
- Experience with Analytical Techniques such as SEM, FIB, TEM or other similar techniques
- Experience with CAD Layout software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- US citizenship or permanent residency
- Provide leadership and oversight on Technical Projects related to the Manufacturing of SiC Power Devices; may include work on government funded and internally funded projects
- Lead the design (2D device simulations and CAD layouts), processing and testing of SiC power devices such as MOSFETs, Schottky Diodes, PiN Diodes, BJTs, IGBTs and GTOs
- Interface with a large team of Scientists and Engineers to solve critical processing, performance and reliability challenges in the fabrication of next generation SiC Power Devices
- Oversee the processing of SiC Power Devices, from wafer specification, fabrication oversight, end-of-line testing, yield analysis, and long-term reliability investigations
- Develop and specify appropriate final parametric tests, oversee final parametric data collection of completed devices, and correlate results back to process module variables
- Make technical presentations and prepare technical and scientific papers for conferences and journals
This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management.
At Cree | Wolfspeed, we’ve spent more than 30 years developing industry firsts as a leader in wide bandgap semiconductor technology. Not familiar with all of our products? That is because we are a part of the invisible revolution; if we do our job right you will never know we were there. Our products make impossible possible like our LEDs that power cities to our Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Gallium Nitride (GaN) components that power electric vehicles, solar energy, telecommunications and industrial, military and aerospace solutions.
We believe in enabling the world to do more with less. That’s why we encourage each other to think unconventionally, take ownership and solve real problems. Interested in a career at Cree | Wolfspeed? We want to meet you. Submit your application now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
See Inside the Office of Cree
Cree believes in better light and is leading the way toward a more efficient, sustainable future by producing innovative LED lighting and semiconductor solutions for homes, businesses, and beyond. The company also pioneers new technologies and explores how best to improve what’s already introduced with smart-technology integrations. The company’s mission and achievements aren’t just shining—they’re beaming.
Back to top