The Wolfspeed Materials R&D is looking for a high potential, resourceful, hands-on, problem solving Research Scientist with a good understanding of materials behavior and capacity to quickly grasp and solve technical challenges. A solid background in semiconductor materials with strong analytical and leadership skills are necessary to enable successful execution of both new process development and improvement of existing processes in a fast paced manufacturing environment.
What can Wolfspeed do for you?
- The world runs on power and our SiC wide bandgap semiconductors far outperform conventional silicon components and set new standards for efficiency and reliability.
- Join the company that is a global leader in the manufacturing of 4H Silicon Carbide (SiC) substrates, SiC and III-Nitride epitaxial wafers.
- Be part of the team that has long proven expertise in SiC and GaN materials technology advancement with the focus and commitment to bring high quality solution platforms across all applications.
What can you do for Wolfspeed?
- Carry out research within the SiC applied scientific field that involves development and design work.
- Implement innovative solutions to SiC technology problems and create opportunities to enhance technical methodology through expansion of existing or development of new efforts.
- Contribute or lead in major intellectual development activities.
- Identify new research opportunities, translate business objectives into project goals and determine feasibility of goals and objectives.
- Develop project plans, technical approaches, timelines and deliverables for assigned projects.
- Work on several projects, simultaneously and deliver results in complete ownership within a 24x7 manufacturing environment.
- Work to establish practices which include employees’ positive involvement with opportunity for constructive input and action.
- Establish accountability for problem solving both on a permanent and ad-hoc basis, depending on need.
- Support downstream customers and new product development.
What you need for success:
- PhD in Materials, Chemical, Ceramics, Electrical Engineering, or Physical Science with Engineering degree
- MS with 5+ years of related industrial R&D experience
- Independent thinking, attention to detail, strong organizational and planning abilities
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Statistical data analysis skills and experience
- Strong leadership skills, high energy, self motivated attitude with an ability to work constructively with a team of manufacturing personnel, engineers and technicians
- Self-starter with “whatever it takes” attitude
- Must be US Citizen or green card holder
Highly preferred skills and certifications
- Knowledge in SiC and related materials
- Hands on mechanical experience
- Vacuum technology knowledge background
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Manager, Sustaining Engineering
Katrina pushes lighting technology forward by managing the engineers who assemble the inner workings of the Cree LED Bulb. She also looks at data to brainstorm ways to make the brightest LED components possible.
Back to top