Cree is looking for a self-motivated, hands on, Reliability Engineer to define, implement and operate the reliability testing functions for LED based lighting products and controls. This engineer will work with a cross functional engineering team comprised of Electrical, Mechanical and LED Engineers to define test requirements necessary to assure the reliability of Cree products. You will report reliability test results as part of the deliverables in the NPI process. Review engineering specifications and drawings proposing design modifications to improve reliability while keeping cost and other product requirements into consideration. You will work with the RMA organization to review field failures and proactively identify potential design reliability problems and document and organize test results.
What can Cree do for you?
If you are someone looking for a high visibility position with a growing company, who loves a fast-paced environment and enjoys Cree-ating innovation, then we encourage you to read through the next two sections which describe the type of experience and education we’re looking for in this role.
What can you do for Cree?
- Serve as the reliability Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the business.
- Prepare reliability plans, test protocols, test reports, reliability assessment reports to meet the project timelines and quality expectations.
- Provide periodic updates to senior management on reliability engineering and failure analysis activities and promptly inform any high risk areas that affect product reliability.
- Develop accelerated life test plans for reliability critical components.
- Develop and monitor reliability metrics and goals to drive quality improvement efforts.
- Work closely with the development team and program management to understand requirements and the timing of current and future programs.
- Manage and report Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) detailing all the results of the reliability programs activities.
- Conduct data analysis for field reliability and failure rates.
- Provide guidance to internal teams and interface with customers regarding reliability questions or concerns.
- Work effectively with design partners on reliability activities.
- Be passionate about providing Reliability Engineering support to a cross functional engineering team.
- Work hand in hand with the program manager, product manager and cross functional leads to ensure the overall product/solution system integrity from concept to end of life of the product.
What you need for success:
- S. in Engineering (Reliability, Mechanical, Electrical) or Material Science
- Minimum 5 years relevant work experience in Reliability engineering, including developing reliability plans for product development, accelerated life testing design/analysis and reliability statistics.
- Technical understanding of electronic components and failure modes.
- Proven ability to communicate in English (verbal and written) technical information to a diverse audience.
- Ability to understand and work well with various engineering functions and business functions (Product Development, Quality Assurance, Project Management, Marketing and Operations).
- Capable of managing activities at third party vendor sites.
- Able to adjust changing priorities and schedules in order to keep projects and commitments on-track.
- Ability to work independently and be self-sufficient while managing multiple projects.
- Self starter with strong personal work ethic. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Diligent, detail and goal oriented, highly analytical and innovative.
- Responsible and accountable team player and individual contributor.
- Microsoft Office proficient.
- Demonstrated understanding of appropriate handling of confidential information.
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- MS in Reliability Engineering.
- Experience with LED lighting/products.
- Possess a working knowledge of switch mode power supplies.
- Experience with statistical software such as Minitab, Weibull++, etc.
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer.
Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top