Quality Assurance Engineer
This position, which reports to Cree’s Director of Quality for LED Products Business Unit (BU), will be located in Durham, North Carolina. This person will support the Quality organization’s responsibility to establish, implement, maintain and continually improve the BU’s quality management system (QMS) to meet the business needs and maintain compliance to the adopted standards of IATF 16949:2016, ISO 9001:2015, ISO 17025, VDA 6.3 and key customer requirements.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Work with the organization to improve our new product/process introduction (NPI) process to meet the standards set by IATF 16949:2016, APQP; and VDA 6.3. This includes standardizing protocols, policies, and deliverables for a phase/gate process across the BU.
- Be a member of the BU’s Product/Process Change Review Boards (PCRB), with the potential to become the Chair. In this role:
- Ensure that the organization follows policies and protocols for changes to products or processes.
- Work with engineering organizations to construct suitable qualification plans for the business and our customers.
- Validate and approve qualification results.
- Per the BU change notification policies, trigger and follow-up on customer notifications by analyzing proposed changes with approval notification agreements.
- Become the QA’s Department owner of our Internal Corrective Action and Customer Complaint Management system. Oversee and monitor these systems to ensure their effectiveness. These activities include:
- Lead 8D review meeting for identified key customer complaints.
- Monitoring these QMS Processes, prepare and distribute performance based reports.
- Guide departments with their interpretation and lead improvement efforts to address findings.
- Become the QA administrator for the BU’s enterprise wide web based Quality Management system. This activity includes:
- Configuring and maintaining the modules such as our Internal Corrective Action System, and Complaint Management process.
- Lead the organization in transferring processes from local databases to the enterprise wide system.
- Define, configure and implement new modules that may be added in the future.
- Prepare and develop the BU’s Monthly DPPM Performance reports broken down by the various product lines.
- Work with IT to develop a DPPM automated Dashboard eliminating the need for this monthly analysis effort.
- Serve as a member of the factory’s Material Review Board, ensuring the quality of suspected nonconforming material.
- He/she may be assigned to prepare, train and/or audit key PPAP elements such as DMEAs, PFMEAs, Process Control Plans, MSA studies, etc., for submission to our customers. He/she may also be asked to review PPAP submissions from our suppliers.
- Be willing to travel to other BU site locations, such as Huizhou China to address matters relating this job at a frequency of about once a quarter; or, as the business needs.
- Demonstrate abilities to lead in problem solving/countermeasure events where quality issues are diagnosed, discussed, and resolved.
- Lead and drive the organization using widely accepted quality techniques such as the 8D problem solving, 5 Whys, Kaizen events, etc.
- Adept at challenging participants to provide timely resolution to quality issues.
- Adept at dealing with quality issues by written documentation, conference calls, or in person.
- Adept with working with other departments to develop plans, presentations and other materials as may be necessary to resolve quality issues and in a timely manner.
- Adept at developing project and implementation plans, be able to drive progress within and across departments to meet objectives according to the plan or defined timelines.
- Must be able to provide timely communication across the organization on quality related matters and be willing and able to escalate those issues requiring immediate attention.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field such as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and/or Industrial Engineering; and/or suitable work experience.
- The candidate should be familiar with all PPAP elements such that he/she can prepare, review and verify, coach and/or train the organization on their effective use.
- Preferred Certified Lead Auditor to IATF 16949.
- Preferred Lean/Six Sigma certification or equivalent work experience or company certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality assurance and reliability methods and improvement tools.
- Experience in the automotive industry that demonstrates working knowledge for quality requirements, protocols and automotive customer’s expectations is desired.
- Preferred understanding of fundamental Quality and Manufacturing monitoring software, such as SPC software, JMP or Minitab, MS Project, and MS Access.
- 5-15+ years experience as a Quality Engineer who can demonstrate effectively leading an organization to improvement performance using quality methods and approaches.
- Expertise with semiconductor design and manufacturing processes.
- Fluent in English.
- US citizen or Green card holder
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Director of Advanced Technology
John leads a team of diverse engineers creating the next generation of LED lighting products. His focus is intelligent lighting systems and innovative advancements for current technologies.
Back to top