Power Module Application Engineer
This position reports to the Power Electronics Applications Manager in the Power Module Marketing Team, within Wolfspeed’s Power Modules Department, located in Fayetteville Arkansas.
This job opportunity is for an experienced SiC power module application engineer with a thorough and detailed understanding of, and experience with, a wide range of power electronics applications and systems. The candidate is required to have in-depth expertise and experience in characterization, modeling, and simulation of power devices and systems in a wide range of applications, including automotive, industrial, and Medium Voltage applications.
What can Cree | Wolfspeed do for you?
- Opportunity to design and develop simulation models for next generation SiC power modules that can significantly impact many energy-related applications such as electric vehicles, wind, solar, smart grid, and defense applications
- Ability to work on challenging multi-discipline engineering problems within a team environment as well as across other teams
- Opportunity to test, analyze, and model development prototypes using state-of-the-art design and simulation tools that are transitioned to a product and inserted into real world applications
- Further your professional career by on-site training, attending professional/engineering conferences, external certifications, and by working with the best of the best
What can you do for Cree | Wolfspeed?
- Interface with power electronics engineers, packaging engineers, and customers to develop simulation models in SPICE and PLECS for SiC power modules and systems
- Interface with key customers to implement models into simulations for customer evaluation
- Perform evaluation and analysis in early prototyping to improve and optimize module design
- Develop physics based models for internal evaluation and understanding
- Perform high frequency parametric extraction such as module parasitics to aide in model development
- Utilize FEA software to simulation parasitic elements to enable optimal module design and layout
- Must be excited to learn new skills
What you need for success:
- Requires a 4-year degree and 5+ experience, an M.S. with 3+ years of experience or Ph.D. without experience.
- This position requires the lawful ability to access technical data, information, and areas controlled by United States export control laws and regulations.
- Extensive simulation experience with SPICE, PLECS or similar
- Experience with small signal parametric extraction using impedance analyzers and network analyzers
- Experience with clamped inductive load testing to test dynamic characteristics
- Good understanding of a wide range of power electronics applications and systems required
- Good understanding of EMI, di/dt, and dv/dt related design issues required
- Knowledge and experience working with power modules
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, written, and presentation)
- Excellent team player
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- Power semiconductor modeling experience with physics based simulation environments
- Experience with FEA software for EM analysis
- Experience with power module design
- Demonstrated expertise in “back of the envelope” thermal, electrical, and mechanical calculations and design optimization
- Knowledge of power devices such as SiC MOSFETs, SiC Schottky Diodes, Si IGBTs, etc.
This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management.
At Cree | Wolfspeed, we’ve spent more than 30 years developing industry firsts as a leader in wide bandgap semiconductor technology. Not familiar with all of our products? That is because we are a part of the invisible revolution; if we do our job right you will never know we were there. Our products make impossible possible like our LEDs that power cities to our Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Gallium Nitride (GaN) components that power electric vehicles, solar energy, telecommunications and industrial, military and aerospace solutions.
We believe in enabling the world to do more with less. That’s why we encourage each other to think unconventionally, take ownership and solve real problems. Interested in a career at Cree | Wolfspeed? We want to meet you. Submit your application now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top