Power Electronics Module Design Engineer
We currently have a job vacancy for a Senior Power Electronics Module Design Engineer in our Power device development team. This position is located in our Fayetteville, AR technology center.
This job opportunity is for an advanced and experienced Senior Power Electronics Module Design Engineer with a thorough and detailed understanding of power module design. This position is a part of Cree’s power electronics packaging team, and the applicant must be intimately knowledgeable of, able to plan for, and able to lead/ perform a wide range of design, development, and research duties.
Education and Experience
The job opportunity is for an advanced technical position with the possibility of some management requirements. A BS engineering degree with a minimum of 15+ years of experience in the specific field is required, or a Ph.D. with 10+ years of experience in the specific field is required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead research, design, and developmental efforts for power discrete packages, power modules, and multichip power modules
- Interface with power electronics engineers, electrical engineers, process engineers, and production engineers to develop power modules that meet electrical, mechanical, long term reliability, and cost requirements (concept to production)
- Building and testing of prototypes and proof of feasibility
- Participate and contribute to the contract proposal writing process and the commercial customer bid process
- Technical lead, PI, and project manager on projects and contracts
- Mentor and aide to Jr. and mid-level engineers
- Mentor and aide to packaging technicians at all levels
- Travel to present at technical conferences
- Travel to meet with program officers and commercial customers
- Interface with manufacturing (internal and external) to transfer designs
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Candidate must be a US citizen or Green Card holder
- A BS engineering degree with a minimum of 5+ years of experience in the specific field is required, or a Ph.D. with 2+ years of experience in the specific field is required
- Detailed and in-depth understanding of the complete power module product cycle, from concept to market: how to design to performance, manufacturability, and cost
- Excellent communication, writing, presentation, and relation skills a must
- Knowledge and capability to efficiently use a wide variety of software programs essential to the job (Electronics packaging and analysis tools, such as SolidWorks, Flotherm, COMSOL, ANSYS, Ansoft, Saber, OrCAD, etc.
- Extensive in-depth expertise in hands-on use of laboratory equipment, performing reliability testing, building prototypes, etc. (experience with LabView is a plus)
- Technical project management, project planning, etc.
- Extreme environment electronics packaging (high temperature and cryogenic)
- High power, high voltage, and high current packaging
- Wire bond interconnects
- Die attaches, brazing, epoxies
- Power substrates
- Low temperature co-firable (LTCC) ceramics
- Integrated passives
- Flip chip, BGA, etc.
- Ribbon and other interconnect bonding
- Thermal management and analysis for concentrated heat fluxes, techniques, software, and tools
- Thermal-stress analysis, techniques, software, and tools
- PCB and power layout techniques, software, and tools
- Parasitic package extractions and modeling, techniques, software, and tools
- Hermetic sealing, laser welding, seam sealing, etc.
- Knowledge of advanced packaging materials
- Ceramic / metal packages, housings
- High temperature plastics, plastic fatigue, outgassing, mechanical design, etc.
- Electrolytic and electroless plating
- Reliability testing and analysis
- Vacuum and conveyor solder reflow systems
- Fixture design and fabrication
Additional Skills that are a Plus:
- Knowledge of new state-of-the-art devices such as SiC JFETs, SiC MOSFETs, SiC TMOS, SiC Thyristors, SiC Schottky Diodes, etc.
- Knowledge of commercial and military systems for weapons platforms, aerospace platforms, automotive platforms, etc. into which power electronics subsystems are designed
- Experience with proposal writing or the bid & proposal process for government contracting
- Experience serving as an R&D principal investigator (PI) or program/project manager
At Cree, we’re a little obsessed. We’re fascinated by how things work and how we can make them work better. Our products enable systems that are more powerful and efficient than previously thought possible, because we’re constantly looking for ways to push past the limits of today’s technology.
Our devices are built on silicon carbide, a material that has vastly expanded the capabilities of electronic components. Our power division is the world’s leading manufacturer of silicon-carbide Schottky diodes and MOSFETs for efficient power conversion. These devices provide increased efficiency, higher switching frequency and reduced system size and weight in a variety of applications, including power supplies and solar inverters.
Our RF division is a proven leader in high performance and reliable gallium-nitride components for wireless amplifiers. We fabricate transistors and MMICs that drastically reduce overall energy consumption. Our wide-band, RF-operating semiconductors enable enhanced performance while reducing the number of required amplifiers. Our RF group supports several applications including wireless infrastructure, RADAR and defense technologies.
The Cree-Fayetteville facility is a high-technology, aggressive, internationally competitive, fast growing small business located in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains near the University of Arkansas campus. We develop advanced power electronics systems for the military, NASA, down-hole, next generation electric vehicles, and commercial use; including power modules, DC/DC supplies, single and three phase inverters, battery chargers, DC and AC motor drives, etc. We seek energetic and enthusiastic professionals with high ambition, deep motivation, teamwork ethic, and a commitment to being the best of the best in the field of power electronics packaging.
We’re looking for bright minds and passionate hearts to help us build a more powerful and energy-efficient world.
Back to top