Power Electronics Design Engineer
This position reports to the Power Electronics Applications Manager in the Business Development Team, within Wolfspeed’s Power Modules Department, located in Fayetteville Arkansas.
This job opportunity is for an experienced Power Electronics Design Engineer with a thorough and detailed understanding of, and experience with, a wide range of power electronics applications and systems. The candidate is required to have in-depth expertise and experience in designing high voltage power electronics for a wide range of applications, including switch gear, current controllers, fault current limiters, DC/DC converters, drives and inverters, etc. at voltage levels in excess of 10kV.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design, build, and test 3.3kV – 20kV+ power electronics applications
- Test 3.3kV – 20kV+ SiC power module products
- Log reports, develop application notes, develop reference designs, and assist in the bid/proposal process as it relates to high voltage power electronics
- Perform as the technical lead in this specific area, mentoring several more junior engineers
- Some performance of mid-level technical management of high voltage development activities and roadmapping may be required
- Good understanding of a wide range of power electronics applications and systems required
- Good understanding of protection circuitry, feedback, and control loops required
- Good understanding of EMI, di/dt, and dv/dt related design issues required
- Good understanding of high voltage gate/base drivers for power switches required
- Perform and oversee laboratory prototyping and testing, must be comfortable with high voltage (3.3 - 20 kV+) and high currents (thousands of amps) testing
- Perform as the technical lead in installing and building new high voltage test capabilities
- Knowledge and experience with SiC power devices is a plus
- Ability to work on multiple projects, simultaneously and successfully
- Always required to be a team player
Other Requirements, Education and/or Experience:
- Candidate must be a US citizen or Green Card holder
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s engineering degree (BS) from four-year college or university with an accredited engineering program
- Minimum 5+ years of related industry experience in high voltage power electronics design
- Independent thinking, attention to detail, strong organizational and planning abilities
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and data analysis skills
- Experience with circuit design software, MatLab, FEA tools, PCB layout tools, and Labview
- Strong leadership skills, high energy, self-motivated/self-starter attitude with an ability to work constructively within a team of diverse personnel
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Director of Advanced Technology
John leads a team of diverse engineers creating the next generation of LED lighting products. His focus is intelligent lighting systems and innovative advancements for current technologies.
Back to top