Cree is seeking a Patent Agent to join Cree’s Legal Department at our global headquarters in Raleigh-Durham, NC. This position involves the management of a portion of Cree’s patent portfolio by actively coordinating with Cree’s inventors and outside counsel and actively managing outside counsel in the prosecution of Cree’s patents. The position will also support patent licensing, third party patent matters and litigation efforts within Cree by performing prior art invalidity searches, claim charts and technical analysis. This position reports to the Chief Intellectual Property Counsel.
- Coordinating with Cree inventors and outside counsel to ensure that patent applications in area of responsibility are filed in a timely fashion and pursuing the proper scope.
- Actively managing outside counsel in patent prosecution matters, such as office action responses and foreign filing decisions.
- Participate in IP side meetings in area of responsibility to determine whether to seek patent protection on an invention, cease pursuit of a patent application and whether to file continuation applications of existing patent applications
- Meet with inventors and/or technical leaders in area of responsibility to prepare for filing of new inventions relative to upcoming product launches
- Brainstorm with inventors and/or outside counsel to determine patent claim scope to pursue in patent applications
- Perform prior art searching to support invalidity analysis of third party patents
- Perform analysis of Cree products versus third party patents
- Perform analysis of third party products relative to Cree patents
What you need for success:
- Demonstrated successful experience in:
- Patent application drafting and responses to office actions
- Working with inventors or business technical leaders in converting ideas or products into patent applications
- Performed prior art searching
- Participated in offensive and/or defensive patent claim analysis relative to products
- Supported patent litigation activities
- 5+ years’ experience as patent agent and/or technical advisor in relevant technical area, e.g., LED industry
- Ability to work independently and directly with technical contacts in area of responsibility
- Ability to focus on diverse patent related projects with rapidly changing priorities
- Strong communications skills and motivated
- Undergraduate degree in physics, material science or engineering and strong, adaptive technical skills
- Registration before the USPTO (exceptional technical advisors with no PTO registration will be considered)
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- Semiconductor or electrical engineering experience
- Law firm and prior in-house experience
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Process Engineer, Wolfspeed
Nathan ensures that Cree and its customers are set up for success by implementing efficient processes that allow new features and issue resolutions to be created quickly.
Back to top