We currently have an opening for an Optical Engineer within our Lighting R&D group in Santa Barbara, CA. We hope you’ll read on to see if you have what it takes to join the revolution.
Cree’s Santa Barbara Technology Center is looking for a creative, self-motivated, hands-on optical engineer with a lighting background to drive innovation within the industry leading LED solid state lighting space. The successful candidate will be part of cross functional R&D and product development teams working on new technology/materials research as well as developing the next generation of lighting platforms. A successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver that is able to own projects and contribute across multiple focused development efforts, work around technical obstacles, implement practical solutions and successfully partner with Cree’s worldwide design, project management and manufacturing organizations and external solutions providers.
- BS Optics, Physics or Mechanical Engineering.
- 3+ years of detailed, hands on optical design experience.
- Deep understanding of non-imaging and freeform optics.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple development projects simultaneously.
- Resourceful, hands-on, problem solving individual with initiative and drive to work around technical obstacles.
- Self starter, capable of keeping up with a fast development pace.
- Proficiency in use of optical design and CAD software (ASAP, LightTools, ProE, SolidWorks or equivalent).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to clearly and concisely analyze and present experimental data.
- Masters in Optics, Physics or Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years of detailed, hands on optical design experience.
- Thorough understanding of lighting system specifications and applications.
- Experience with new Solid State LED Lighting product introductions from designing to launch.
- Experience in cross-functional project management.
- Solid understanding of application requirements for LED based lighting.
- Experience with waveguides/lightguides.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver innovative solutions that continually raise the bar.
- Experience with rapid prototyping for design and performance validation as a tool to accelerate new product introduction.
- Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CreeCareers & http://twitter.com/Cree
- Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CreeLEDRevolution
- Connect with us on LinkedIn: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreeInc
- Watch us on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreeInc
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Manager, Sustaining Engineering
Katrina pushes lighting technology forward by managing the engineers who assemble the inner workings of the Cree LED Bulb. She also looks at data to brainstorm ways to make the brightest LED components possible.
Back to top