Cree Lighting is looking for a self-motivated, hands-on optical engineer with a lighting background to drive innovation within the industry leading LED based lighting products. Individual will work within cross functional product development groups to work on new technology/materials research as well as developing the next generation lighting platforms. A successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver that is able to work around technical obstacles, implement practical solutions and successfully partner with the Cree’s worldwide design, project management and manufacturing organizations.
Design optics for indoor/outdoor LED luminaires
Verify designs using layout software (AGI32)
Design, set up and conduct/supervise appropriate testing of individual parts as well as a whole system
Create, maintain and update optical drawings and other documentation
Work with cross-functional team, operations and manufacturing partners on optimizing design for production
Analyze test data and make presentation for a wide range of audience groups
Research new materials and new design approaches
- BS Optics, Physics or Mechanical Engineering
- 0-3 years of optical design experience.
- Deep understanding of non-imaging and freeform optics
- Ability to effectively manage multiple development projects simultaneously
- Resourceful, hands-on, problem solving individual with initiative and drive to work around technical obstacles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Self Starter, capable of keeping up with a fast development pace.
- Experience with solid modeling and optical modeling software
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Master in Engineering, Optics or Physics
- Thorough understanding of lighting system specifications and applications
- Experience designing Solid State LED Lighting products
- Experience with waveguides/lightguides
- Strong simulation and modeling experience
- Demonstrated ability to deliver innovative solutions that continually raise the bar
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer.
Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top