Mechanical Design Engineer - LED Lighting (Italy)
Cree is looking for a self-motivated, hands-on Mechanical Design Engineer to work on LED-based lighting products for indoor and outdoor applications. This vacancy is in our Florence, Italy location.
This engineer will work within cross functional groups consisting of marketing, engineering and manufacturing to research, develop, design, qualify and introduce products and systems into production. Responsibilities will include support of product introduction and technical support. A successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver who is able to work around technical obstacles and will be adept at the implementation of practical solutions.
- Develop, sustain and improve LED based light fixtures for general illumination applications according with EU design and compliance requirements.
- Perform engineering analysis using theory and experience in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, static and dynamic systems and material science.
- Be involved into the product design trying to include the EU design requirements, test, prototype build, component and fixture qualification, safety approvals and production integration.
- Provide technical expertise in fabrication methodologies including extrusions, aluminum die castings, plastic injection molding, sheet metal, DFMA, tooling and prototyping.
- Work directly with Manufacturing Operations and Engineering to ramp new products and processes into production.
- Work on BOMs definition and support to Manufacturing for work instruction and wiring diagram design.
- Compilation of luminaire installation instructions
- Interface with suppliers to evaluate second sources and resolve technical issues that may arise in manufacturing and to improve cost and quality of designs.
- Identify, initiate and implement solutions for process/product development that improves performance, reduces cost, strengthens yield, and increases capability.
- Provide technical support and instruction to staff and customers regarding equipment standards, and help solve specific, difficult in-service engineering problems.
- Provide training to other personnel to improve overall capabilities and knowledge.
- Work across company functional organizations to ensure project success.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.
- 2+ years of experience as a Mechanical Design Engineer in a product development environment.
- Strong technical background in mechanical engineering principles
- Proficient with Solidworks.
- Ability to work independently and be self-sufficient while managing multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Good English language knowledge
- Self-starter with strong personal work ethic. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Willing to travel – both domestic and international.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or other technical related field.
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Process Engineer, Wolfspeed
Nathan ensures that Cree and its customers are set up for success by implementing efficient processes that allow new features and issue resolutions to be created quickly.
Back to top