Mechanical Design Engineer - LED Lighting (Italy)
Cree is looking for a self-motivated, hands-on Mechanical Design Engineer to work on LED-based lighting products for indoor and outdoor applications. This engineer will work within cross functional groups consisting of marketing, engineering and manufacturing to research, develop, design, qualify and introduce products and systems into production. Responsibilities will include support of product introduction and technical support. A successful candidate will be a resourceful problem solver who is able to work around technical obstacles and will be adept at the implementation of practical solutions.
- Develop, sustain and improve LED based light fixtures for general illumination applications according with EU design and compliance requirements.
- Perform engineering analysis using theory and experience in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, static and dynamic systems and material science.
- Be involved into the product design trying to include the EU design requirements, test, prototype build, component and fixture qualification, safety approvals and production integration.
- Provide technical expertise in fabrication methodologies including extrusions, aluminum die castings, plastic injection molding, sheet metal, DFMA, tooling and prototyping.
- Work directly with Manufacturing Operations and Engineering to ramp new products and processes into production.
- Work on BOMs definition and support to Manufacturing for work instruction and wiring diagram design.
- Compilation of luminaire installation instructions
- Interface with suppliers to evaluate second sources and resolve technical issues that may arise in manufacturing and to improve cost and quality of designs.
- Identify, initiate and implement solutions for process/product development that improves performance, reduces cost, strengthens yield, and increases capability.
- Provide technical support and instruction to staff and customers regarding equipment standards, and help solve specific, difficult in-service engineering problems.
- Provide training to other personnel to improve overall capabilities and knowledge.
- Work across company functional organizations to ensure project success.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering.
- 2+ years of experience as a Mechanical Design Engineer in a product development environment.
- Strong technical background in mechanical engineering principles
- Proficient with Solidworks.
- Ability to work independently and be self-sufficient while managing multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Good English language knowledge
- Self-starter with strong personal work ethic. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Willing to travel – both domestic and international.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or other technical related field.
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top