Mechanical Design Engineer
Wolfspeed (Cree’s Power & RF division) is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer for Power Electronics Packaging in the Applications Engineering Team located in our Fayetteville, AR technology center. This job opportunity is for an experienced system-level power electronics packaging engineer with a thorough and detailed understanding of low voltage (LV) and medium voltage (MV) power electronics packaging, thermal simulations and a knowledge of WBG SiC device technology.
What can Wolfspeed do for you?
- Opportunity to design and package next-generation WBG SiC-based power conversion systems that can significantly impact a number of energy-related applications such as electric-vehicles, smart grid, renewable energy, and defense applications.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced working environment, on challenging multi-discipline engineering problems within a team environment as well as across other teams.
- Opportunity to design and develop prototypes using state-of-the-art design and simulation tools that are transitioned to a product and inserted into real world applications.
- Further your professional career by on-site training, attending professional/engineering conferences, and external certifications.
- Provide an opportunity to work on the next-generation power electronics products.
What can you do for Wolfspeed?
- Interface with module design and packaging engineers, manufacturing engineers to develop next generation power conversion systems to bring the power electronics industry to next level.
- Perform research, design, and development efforts for innovative power converter packaging techniques using next generation WBG devices, and state-of-the-art simulation tools.
- Perform system level thermal, thermal-stress, mechanical-stress, shock and vibration design and FEA analysis using computer simulation tools
- Design, develop, and test system-level packaging, bussing, housings, and other mechanical structures for advanced power electronic converters and inverters (50kW-2MW). This includes power device selection, mechanical layout of high-current, high-frequency conductors, laminated bus bar design and detailed mechanical design of the converter layout according to established procedures.
- Build prototypes and test fixtures. Perform verification testing on new designs and products, perform product cost and reliability analysis and provide assembly and test instructions for technicians.
- Assist in proposal writing efforts for programs with the DOD, NASA, DOE, ARPA-E, and other agencies.
- Lead and assist in conducting experiments, acquiring data, preparing application notes, and preparing design specifications as needed.
- Support Wolfspeed’s global customer base.
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization.
What you need for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering. Applicants with an advanced degree will also be given strong consideration.
- 8+ years relevant experience with packaging of medium to large power conversion systems for LV and MV systems.
- Expertise in mechanical vibration and thermal analysis for high power electronics packaging to meet customer performance requirements.
- Expertise with 3-D CAD, thermal modeling, simulation and analysis with CFD packages.
- The candidate should have a strong feeling and interest for design and development of novel power conversion packaging techniques and development trends, and have a proven capability to pursue state-of-the-art system-level power electronics packaging technologies for both LV and MV.
- The applicant must be knowledgeable of packaging, thermal analysis and thermal performance testing of DC-DC, AC-DC, AC-DC-AC power conversion systems. Experience in writing technical documents such as hardware requirements and specifications, product design specifications, test specifications, schematic, board level design details etc.
- Technical project planning experience.
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, written, and presentation).
- Excellent team player.
Highly preferred skills and expertise:
- Responsible for driving technology, design, development and test activities to meet the schedule, cost and reliability.
- Leads and supports Engineering to design, develop, and test advanced system-level mechanical and package designs for power electronic converters (5 kW-2 MW) according to established procedures, and design requirements.
- Develops and recommends solutions to a variety of complex engineering requirements to ensure that the mechanical design objectives are met.
- Developing and interpreting mechanical design specifications, system requirement specifications, and identifying major risk factors.
- Lead all mechanical, thermal and heat transfer aspects of system-level power electronics converter designs; including bussing, PCBs, and housing / case structures.
- Documents design during the development process, including but not limited to high level design, design specifications, design verification and test specifications.
- Ensures quality of mechanical designs and purchased components/systems by developing and documenting test plans; conducting, analyzing, and documenting tests confers with suppliers on design details, costs, and schedules of purchased products.
- Provides budget, cost and schedule input for design and development activities.
- Multi-level power converter system packaging experience at LV (208 VAC-690 V AC) and MV (4.16 kV- 13.8 kV) levels.
- Strong troubleshooting and root cause analysis skills.
- Hands-on approach: Helps out wherever the team needs help, does whatever is necessary to meet customer expectations and deliverables.
- Familiarity with IEC, EN, IEEE, and MIL-STD design standards.
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Process Engineer, Wolfspeed
Nathan ensures that Cree and its customers are set up for success by implementing efficient processes that allow new features and issue resolutions to be created quickly.
Back to top