Manufacturing Equipment Engineer
Cree | Wolfspeed's Global Operations Team is seeking an Equipment Engineer. The Equipmment Engineer is responsible for technically leading equipment technicians that service an area of the Fab, and is ultimately responsible for tool availability/uptime of all assigned tools. The purpose of this role is to technically direct and coordinate the team’s effort in applying technical skills to optimize tool uptime, resolve tool problems, define and implement continues improvement projects and enable safe and efficient production. This is both a technical leadership and individual technical role with the expectation that the Engineering Engineer will have complete tool equipment based ownership.
Initially, this position will be located at our Durham, North Carolina facility. After two to four years (depending on business needs and the progress of construction), this position will relocate to our new facility in the Utica, New York area to support our expansion plans.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead with an in fab first mentality (minimum 60/40 fab/office)
- System upgrades and engineering hardware changes to improve product and tool function
- Setup and ensure proper spare parts and materials are available to support efficient tool repair.
- Specifying and updating PM procedures to optimize M ratio.
- Tracking and improving system cycle time.
- Tracking and improving system uptime.
- Installation-deinstallation, layout, and decommission of tools as needed.
- Collaborate with process engineering and production as necessary to sustain, improve, and resolve area issues.
- Participate and/or lead 8D efforts for equipment failures
- Mentor/advise equipment technicians in daily troubleshooting efforts
- Provide downtime escalation plans on a needed basis to ensure proper equipment repair
- Own KPI’s for each assigned tool
- Will be expected to provide sustained support (weekends, nights) on tools that have been escalated to a high priority level
- Must have a BS Degree in Engineering
- Industry experience in equipment engineering with focus in the following areas: semiconductor tools, equipment installation, high vacuum systems, electro-mechanical systems and robotics, high purity gas distribution, and control systems.
- Working knowledge in a wafer fab processing area. Areas include Deposition, Etch, Lithography, Implant, Back grind, Diffusion and Chemical Processing.
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule as needed to support critical tool issues in a 24X7 manufacturing environment.
- Equipment troubleshooting skills and the ability to rapidly learn new equipment tool sets.
- Able/willing to be hands on when needed to drive success or during training sessions.
- Ability to identify equipment improvements, manage change, and implement solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a team player and have a “whatever it takes” approach.
- Must have a positive, professional, energetic, can-do attitude.
- This position requires the lawful ability to access technical data, information, and areas controlled by United States export control laws and regulations. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship by the Company.
This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management.
At Cree | Wolfspeed, we’ve spent more than 30 years developing industry firsts as a leader in wide bandgap semiconductor technology. Not familiar with all of our products? That is because we are a part of the invisible revolution; if we do our job right you will never know we were there. Our products make impossible possible like our LEDs that power cities to our Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Gallium Nitride (GaN) components that power electric vehicles, solar energy, telecommunications and industrial, military and aerospace solutions.
We believe in enabling the world to do more with less. That’s why we encourage each other to think unconventionally, take ownership and solve real problems. Interested in a career at Cree | Wolfspeed? We want to meet you. Submit your application now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top