Manager, Manufacturing Engineering - Florence
Manufacturing Engineering Manager – Florence, Italy
Cree’s LED Lighting division has a vacancy for a Manufacturing Engineering Manager, located in our facility in Florence, Italy. If you have experience in the areas outlined below, then we invite you to apply to this job.
Overview of this job:
Reporting to the local Operations manager, the primary focus of this position will be to support the development and manufacturing of industry leading LED-based lighting products to meet both customer and business expectations. This individual will be responsible for supporting local activities aimed at cost reduction, supplier identification and qualification, production capacity expansion and yield enhancement.
In addition, he/she will be responsible to lead with a strict approach the contract manufacturers with whom the company works in outsourcing.
Successful candidate will be a hands-on problem solver, and focused on team collaboration, with the motivation and knowledge to work around technical obstacles and implement practical solutions in alignment with company objectives and timelines.
While managing and coordinating the activities of the manufacturing team, the right candidate will be able to thrive in a high-pressure, detail and deadline-oriented atmosphere. This is both a tactical and strategic role - while meeting short term objectives this individual is also responsible for strategic planning for continuous improvement.
What are the responsibilities of this job?
- Monitor and maintain LED Lighting products across several assembly lines.
- Implement continuous improvement solutions for process optimization, cost reduction, and yield enhancements across assembly lines in manufacturing.
- Identified as a product expert on the manufacturing team that will head-off challenges or issues in manufacturing with decisive decision-making.
- Interface with component and material suppliers to evaluate second source components and resolve technical issues that may arise in manufacturing.
- Work directly with product development team to ramp new products and processes into production.
- Take on responsibility related to the NPI process.
- Manage with his/her team the BoMs for products, through phase-out stages.
- Provide training and support to manufacturing personnel to improve overall capabilities and knowledge.
- Work across company functional organizations to ensure project success.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills required along with the ability to drive project activity.
- Monitor and improve department performance.
- Partner with peer groups to plan, schedule, and meet production requirements.
- Suggest to the production scheduling team adjustments on the production plans if necessary for technical reasons.
- Monitor and improve productivity both with short term tactical actions and longer term strategic actions.
- Compiles, stores, and retrieves production data. Prepares reports.
- Participates in developing an annual budget and monitors conformance.
- Attend cross-functional meeting.
- Partner with the training and QA teams to drive staff continuous improvement
What can Cree do for you?
- Expand your knowledge and skills - this role will expose you to a set of responsibilities that are both professionally and technically challenging.
- Expose you to cutting-edge science with a recognized world leader in LED lighting technology.
- Offer you development opportunities in a growing company in the vast lighting industry.
- Improve and hone your skills in managing people and projects.
What can you do for Cree?
- Help Cree drive the adoption of LED lighting.
- Perform as a vital member of the Manufacturing Engineering team in the development, qualification, and high-volume manufacturing of Cree LED lighting products.
- Deliver tactical objectives while also leading strategic planning initiatives.
What you need for success:
- Degree in mechanical engineering or in engineering management.
- Knowledge of the design and manufacturing of electronics or electronic components.
- Experience managing a team of technical professionals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Resourceful, hands-on, problem solving individual with initiative and drive to work around technical obstacles.
- Experience introducing products into the manufacturing process (NPI).
- Experience with the BoM process and related cost-reduction decisions.
- Proven experience in the management of resources and complex processes.
- Fluency in English required.
- Availability to travel in Europe and US.
- Demonstrated knowledge of LED components and LED lighting systems is preferable.
- 8-10 years Experience in technical leadership role.
- Must have excellent analytical skills with extensive experience applying statistics for quality control and experimentation.
- Self-starter, high-energy, and strong drive for accomplishment.
- Ability to work independently and be self-sufficient while managing multiple projects.
- Demonstrated sustaining engineering and cost reduction abilities.
- Experience interfacing with component and material suppliers.
- Able to listen and learn from others’ experiences and to rapidly integrate new ideas to solve problems “real time”.
- Experience in die casting process and plastic injection.
- Oracle knowledge.
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer.
Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top