Life Safety Technician
Reporting to the Life Safety Manager, this position functions as a member of Cree’s Life Safety Team. The Life Safety Team is charged with assuring a high degree of protection for Cree’s physical assets, and employee safety, while continuing to provide quality service to Cree’s Business Units at both the RTP and Durham facilities in support of achieving world-class performance. Provide support to other remote Cree facilities as needed.
Generally, this position will be responsible for the day-to-day inspections, testing, and maintenance of Cree’s fire detection and suppression systems, including the coordination and supervision of installation and removal of components associated with all fire detection and suppression systems.
Specifically, this position routinely performs preventative maintenance, inspections and testing related to all fire detection and suppression systems. Coordinates and oversees fire detection and suppression system components according to applicable local, national and international code requirements. Uses test and diagnostic equipment to perform required inspections, testing and maintenance. Uses test and diagnostic equipment to perform troubleshooting. Coordinates and oversees fire system modifications as directed by Facilities Management. Coordinates and oversees contractors performing work on Life Safety Systems.
Additionally, this position will be responsible for providing recommendations for fire detection and suppression system improvements and enhancements based on individual experience and knowledge of available fire detection and suppression system technologies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist the Life Safety Manager and Staff with day-to-day operations of fire detection and suppression systems.
- Perform and/or oversee required inspections, testing, and maintenance of fire detection and suppression systems.
- Request and maintain fire detection and suppression system components for expeditious repairs.
- Identify and correct problems with fire detection and suppression system components and network.
- Perform troubleshooting of the fire detection systems.
- Report and track fire detection and suppression system performance indicators.
- Assist in the development and revision of written fire system programs.
- Assist in the development and design of new fire systems and forward recommendations to appropriate engineers.
- Perform additional duties and tasks as assigned.
- Must have a minimum of two - four years of recent experience working on low voltage systems and components or fire detection and suppression systems experience.
- Must be an assertive self-starter who can work with minimal supervision and direction.
- Must have a general understanding of low voltage electrical systems.
- Must have a general knowledge of fire detection and suppression systems.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Must have excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
- Must be able to excel in a demanding team environment that is customer oriented, challenging, requires flexibility, and sometimes may be stressful.
- Must be able to work in a 24 hour on-call rotation.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
- High School diploma, College or advanced Technical education preferred.
- Must either have, or be in the process of obtaining, a North Carolina Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors "SP-FA/LV" Special Classification, Fire Alarm/Low Voltage license.
- Must either have, or be in the process of obtaining NICET II Fire Alarm Systems certification.
Minimum Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to wear appropriate PPE, climb ladders, work in confined spaces, and work around hazardous materials.
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Process Engineer, Wolfspeed
Nathan ensures that Cree and its customers are set up for success by implementing efficient processes that allow new features and issue resolutions to be created quickly.
Back to top