We currently have an opening for a Senior Commercial Counsel within our Legal Department. This position is located at our headquarters facility in Durham, North Carolina.
The Cree Legal department is a challenging and dynamic work environment, and we are looking for a talented legal professional with drive and determination to join our team. This Senior Commercial Counsel position will provide legal support for the commercial needs of each of our three business units, including interactions with Sales, Customer Service, Operations, Supplier Relations, Facilities, EH&S, Finance, and Marketing. The preferred candidate must be able to work independently and balance multiple priorities, while responding quickly to client demands for this high growth business. This position reports to the Associate General Counsel – Lead Commercial Counsel, LEDs, Power & RF.
The position will be responsible for providing legal advice and representation to Cree, Inc. and its subsidiaries worldwide on matters relating to its business, as assigned. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Providing day-to-day legal counseling on issues arising from the business units, with the expectation that most of the day-to-day work will come from the non-Lighting business units (i.e., RF, power, SiC materials, and LED chips, components and modules).
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts relating to the development, marketing and sale of products, such as sales agreements (including contracts with government agencies and contractors), distribution agreements, sales representative agreements, joint development agreements, marketing agreements, quality assurance agreements, and social responsibility, product origin and ecology certifications.
- Providing legal support to the procurement function, including preparing, reviewing and negotiating vendor agreements, consulting agreements, contract manufacturing agreements, basic license agreements, and supply chain process documents.
- Providing legal support to facilities and EH&S functions, including preparing, reviewing and negotiating leases, subleases, and property purchase agreements, and advising on environmental matters and facility safety processes and procedures.
- Managing risk and business expenses through the design and implementation of the company’s global property and casualty insurance programs. Responsibilities may include managing insurance claims, including monitoring product liability and recall actions, and preparing insurance applications.
- Investigating and resolving commercial disputes pre-litigation and supporting litigation counsel in matters that cannot be amicably resolved.
- Providing other legal advice and support, as requested.
- JD from a top-tier law school with superior academic credentials.
- Admission in good standing to a state bar.
- Minimum 7 years of legal practice with significant commercial contract drafting and negotiating experience involving complex commercial transactions.
- Self-starter who can assess risk quickly and adapt to competing business priorities.
- Highly-motivated individual who understands that success requires hard work and determination.
- Prefer 7-9 years of relevant legal practice experience.
- Prefer candidates who have worked 5 or more years in large law firm (> 30 attorneys) doing relevant legal work. Prior in-house commercial legal experience at a global company a plus, but not required.
- Prefer some international law experience in all matters stated above.
- Prior antitrust experience is a plus.
Admission to State Bar of North Carolina (or availability of reciprocity with the North Carolina bar) is a plus.
Since our beginning 30 years ago, we have introduced innovative and disruptive solutions that enable a more efficient, productive and safer world. We continue our leadership in developing market-leading lighting-class LEDs, lighting products and semiconductor products for power and radio frequency (RF) applications. We believe in unlocking the power and potential of technology, enabling the world to do more with less. We aim to transform the way people experience light and are also leading the innovation of Power/RF products that move us toward a more energy efficient future.
Be part of our future and have a direct impact while working for an organization that provides a place to work alongside brilliant people, a competitive total rewards package, and a problem solving culture. We invite you to submit an application if you feel we would be a good fit.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Process Engineer, Wolfspeed
Nathan ensures that Cree and its customers are set up for success by implementing efficient processes that allow new features and issue resolutions to be created quickly.
Back to top