Facilities Mechanical Engineer
Cree is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join the Facilities team at our global headquarters in Durham, NC. This is a very challenging opportunity with room for growth.
What can Cree do for you?
- Give you the opportunity to solve complex problems and implement your own solutions.
- Ability to manage large and influential projects across the company.
- High visibility in a rapidly growing organization.
What can you do for Cree?
- Designing and implementing cost-effective systems/equipment modifications to help improve safety and reliability.
- Developing a project specification with colleagues, often including those from other engineering disciplines.
- Discussing and solving complex problems with manufacturing departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers considering the implications of issues such as cost, safety and time constraints.
- Monitoring and commissioning plant and systems.
- Provide project management of major and minor Facility projects. Direct A/E firms during the design process and the Construction firms and/or its subcontractors in the installation of complex process equipment/systems, utility equipment/systems, building interiors, shell buildings and site improvements. Be able to address safety, quality, cost, schedule and resource demands.
- Prepare purchase specifications to procure owner furnished equipment, prepare construction bid packages, and evaluate bids.
- Will require technical knowledge of HVAC, piping, electrical, mechanical, and architectural industrial standards to provide technical support to plant operations.
- Ability to prepare funding estimates, establish budgets, controls costs and administers contracts.
- Working with other professionals, within and outside the Facilities engineering sector (manufacturing, maintenance, operations, accounting, administration, management, scientists, etc.) to develop design criteria, project scopes, schedules, and funding requests to successfully define and deliver projects
What you need for success:
- 5 years of experience in Facilities Engineering and proven track record in project management with a focus in the semiconductor industry.
- Very diverse in understanding the electrical, mechanical, architectural design and construction disciplines and proficient in either electrical, mechanical, chemical, or process engineering for semiconductor services.
- Engineering degree is required, registration in an engineering field preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, confidence, and have the ability to work independently.
- Traceable experience as project manager for both small and large projects ranging in a total aggregate of at least $550,000, as well as single projects in excess of $250,000.
- Precise and concise written communication skills.
- Familiarity with a cleanroom environment.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Organizational skills, such as time and resource planning.
- Able to walk up and down stairs, climb ladders, and work in a heavy construction environment.
- Able to work around hazardous material.
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Cree's Employees
Manager, Sustaining Engineering
Katrina pushes lighting technology forward by managing the engineers who assemble the inner workings of the Cree LED Bulb. She also looks at data to brainstorm ways to make the brightest LED components possible.
Back to top