Cree is looking for a self-motivated, hands-on electronics technician to support the development of power electronics and intelligent controls within the Cree SmartCast® Intelligent lighting portfolio. This position will work within cross functional groups consisting of electrical, mechanical, optical and manufacturing members to develop, design, qualify and introduce products and systems into production. Responsibilities will include support of engineering activities such as design, test, check-out, modification, fabrication and assembly of prototype electro-mechanical systems, experimental design of circuitry and specialized test equipment. A successful candidate will be an effective communicator, resourceful problem solver who is able to work around technical obstacles and will be adept at the implementation of practical solutions.
What Can you do for CREE:
- Support design engineering from concept through production including component selection, test, prototype build, safety testing and production integration.
- Work from schematics, diagrams, written and verbal descriptions, layouts or defined plans to perform testing, checkout and troubleshooting functions.
- Use test equipment including, but not limited to, digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, signal generators and specialized test apparatus.
- Familiar with firmware programmer and debugger tools for embedded system testing.
- Assemble prototype circuit boards consisting of surface-mount and through-hole components.
- Test and troubleshoot new LED driver designs and smart controls.
- Capture oscilloscope waveforms, make power and efficiency measurements, gather additional data and provide clear, concise reports for review.
- Perform detailed new product qualification testing according to engineer-developed test plan. Quickly and accurately capture and understand data. Transfer data to MS Word-based report format.
- Offer suggestions for design modifications and improvements based on lab observations.
- Communicate observations, test results and analysis verbally and in written form. Create effective documentation.
- Complete tasks in creative and effective ways with minimal guidance and oversight.
- Provide training to other personnel to improve overall capabilities and knowledge.
- Work across company functional organizations to ensure project success.
What Can CREE do for you?:
- Provide you expanded research and development experience working alongside some of the most innovative minds in the industry.
- Ability to have a direct impact on our next generation of lighting products
- Ability to solve problems related to our Smartcast system
What You Need for Success:
- EET or AS degree or equivalent training in Electrical Engineering or other related technical field.
- 3+ years experience in electronics with working knowledge of passive component testing, power semiconductor performance, thermal and EMC testing and qualification testing of electronics.
- Ability to troubleshoot analog and digital circuits with equipment such as oscilloscopes, power meters, AC and DC power supplies and multimeters.
- Fundamental circuit analysis capability is required. Must have familiarity with basic circuit calculations for voltage, current, resistance, and power.
- Understanding of mathematical principles for common electronics building blocks, such as diodes, transistors, capacitors, inductors, operational amplifiers, etc.
- Proficient with MS Office tools including Excel and Word or equivalents.
- Ability to work independently and be self-sufficient while knowing when to ask for help.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter with strong personal work ethic. Must have a “whatever it takes” attitude.Willing and open to occasional travel – both domestic and international.
- 5+ years experience in electronic testing and troubleshooting.
- Experience in digital and power electronics technologies a plus.
- Experience with automated test software such as LabView. Ideal candidate will be able to take a complicated electronics test procedure and break it down into manageable components that can be automated.
- Experience in construction of inductors and transformers.
- Background in LED lighting.
Check out this video for more information our Cree SmartCast® technology that you will be working on in this role:
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer. Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top