Electronic Design Engineer
We presently have a job vacancy for a Power Module Design Engineer in our Power Packaging Electronics Group located in our Fayetteville, AR technology center. This job opportunity is for an experienced Design Engineer with a thorough and detailed understanding of power module design, assembly, and manufacturing. The applicant must be knowledgeable and have direct experience in thermal, mechanical, and electrical power module design, assembly processes, and electronics packaging materials.
What can Cree | Wolfspeed do for you?
- Opportunity to design and develop next generation power packaging technologies that can significantly impact many energy-related applications such as electric vehicles, wind, solar, smart grid, and defense applications
- Ability to work on challenging multi-discipline engineering problems within a team environment as well as across other teams
- Opportunity to design and develop prototypes using state-of-the-art design and simulation tools that are transitioned to a product and inserted into real world applications
- Further your professional career by on-site training, attending professional/engineering conferences, external certifications, and by working with the best of the best
What can you do for Cree | Wolfspeed?
- Interface with power electronics engineers, electrical engineers, process engineers, and production engineers to develop power modules that meet electrical, mechanical, long-term reliability, and cost requirements (concept to production).
- Perform design, development, and productization efforts for transfer-molded packages and multi-chip power modules
- Perform power module prototyping and assembly in initial prototype stages
- Assist in conducting experiments, acquiring, and analyzing data
- Must be excited to learn new skills
What you need for success:
- Requires a 4-year degree and 10+ experience in industry, academia, or federal research laboratory. Applicants with an M.S. or Ph.D. degree will also be given strong consideration but not required
- 10+ years of CAD electronics design experience
- Knowledge and capability to efficiently use a wide variety of design and modeling software programs
- Knowledge and direct experience in industry standard and/or next generation assembly packaging processes such as wire bonding, die/substrate attach, vacuum reflow soldering, encapsulation, plating, lid seal, etc.
- Knowledge and experience working with common packaging materials
- Technical project planning and leadership experience
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, written, and presentation)
- Excellent team player
Highly preferred skills and certifications:
- CAD experience: SolidWorks®, AutoCAD®, ProE, or Creo Parametric
- Simulation experience: COMSOL Multiphysics®, Ansys®, or SolidWorks® Simulation
- Direct experience with taking a design from concept to a qualified and reliable commercial product
- Experience in leading DFMEA documents
- Design for manufacturability (i.e., tolerance design, assembly efficiency, cost reduction, etc.)
- Experience in geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Design of experiments and statistical analysis experience using JMP or Minitab
- Demonstrated expertise in “back of the envelope” thermal, electrical, and mechanical calculations and design optimization
- Knowledge of power devices such as SiC MOSFETs, SiC Schottky Diodes, Si IGBTs, etc.
- Knowledge in electronics packaging test equipment
- Knowledge in power module reliability and failure modes
This role may require additional duties and/or assignments as designated by management.
At Cree | Wolfspeed, we’ve spent more than 30 years developing industry firsts as a leader in wide bandgap semiconductor technology. Not familiar with all of our products? That is because we are a part of the invisible revolution; if we do our job right you will never know we were there. Our products make impossible possible like our LEDs that power cities to our Silicon Carbide (SiC) and Gallium Nitride (GaN) components that power electric vehicles, solar energy, telecommunications and industrial, military and aerospace solutions.
We believe in enabling the world to do more with less. That’s why we encourage each other to think unconventionally, take ownership and solve real problems. Interested in a career at Cree | Wolfspeed? We want to meet you. Submit your application now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top