Automation and Controls Engineer
Cree has an opening for an Automation and Controls Engineer for our Materials development group. This position is located in our headquarters in Durham, NC.
Responsibilities include designing and programming PC-based and PLC-based control systems and developing monitoring and maintenance systems using Visual Studio .NET and SQL. The engineer will be required to implement these systems in the plant and provide required support as needed. This includes multiple functions relating to the development and integration of software systems to improve tool performance and efficiency and to collect data from and monitor plant floor manufacturing processes. This will require the engineer to analyze a situation, develop a design specification that addresses the requirements, design and implement the solution, and document the design for ongoing support. The candidate will be required to coordinate the installation and startup of systems or system upgrades and the training of plant associates.
Shift: 1st Shift, Non-Manufacturing
- Designing coding and troubleshooting of plant automation and data collection systems.
- Design, program and install new electrical control systems and/or upgrade existing systems using the latest technology available.
- Providing technical support in maintenance of existing control systems.
- 3 years of experience with PCs, PLCs, I/O, sensors and process controls
- Candidate must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green Card holder)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent technical degree.
- 5+ years experience with PCs, PLCs, I/O, sensors and process controls.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD (AutoCAD Electrical preferred).
- Knowledge of the semiconductor industry.
- Good communications skills.
- Experience leading and participating in a cross-functional support team environment, sharing knowledge and experiences with other team members in support of team responsibilities.
- Ability to interact with customers from a broad range of computer, control, and mechanical component experience and skill levels in a friendly, open-minded manner.
At Cree, we’re always on. We believe that meaningful change happens through sheer force of will and the determination of a team solving a problem, and we’re unafraid to kick down the door to make it happen. That’s how we inspired the LED revolution and continue to create brilliantly affordable, radically simple, uncompromisingly efficient solutions that transform the way we experience light. From inventing America’s best-selling light bulb to commercializing the brightest lighting-class LEDs, our vision isn’t just to cultivate a thriving business – it’s to better the world. And we don’t take no for an answer.
Be part of what’s next. Join our growing multi-billion dollar start-up, named a 2014 MIT Technology Review “50 Smartest Company,” to revolutionize energy efficiency and transform the way we experience light.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top